how crucial is a torque wrench for brake pad change - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
azrael201
Grand Am Series

Default how crucial is a torque wrench for brake pad change

i can't decide on a torque wrench (harbor freight?) and in the mean time I really want to change my front brakes. I was at autozone and another customer and store employee both told me i don't really need a torque wrench for a small job like that?

i'm about to go ahead and trust my muscles on providing ample torque...mistake or i could get by?
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
sdemo45
Your average forum a**hole

Default Re: how crucial is a torque wrench for brake pad change

I have one just like this.

For the price, I dont see why you wouldnt buy it and be on the safe side.
sdemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
cali_axela
F1 Driver

I have a torque wrench with the correct range, but have never even used it for calipers or anything else involved in a pad change. The only things I've mainly used it for are wheel lugs and seatbelt bolts.
cali_axela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
azrael201
Grand Am Series

good to hear. i'm always in need of reassurance...especially if it's brakes

yea i need to get a torque wrench for the wheels because i don't know how but my lock nuts were too tight the key couldn't get it off without shearing the nut and i had to take it into a shop to have it removed.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
t147
Le Mans: Prototype Class

over tightened lugnuts will warp rotors. Under torqued lug nuts may come loose and round out holes in wheels, or worse the wheel will fall off and that's a big ohh shit...

over torquing braking components, there's not really a big issue depending on what it is. The slide pins, you may break them off and that's a pain to fix, the backing plate bolts, I never torque them, they need to be like 60+ ft/lbs anyway depending on application.(tight is how i torque them)
-CoolGuy stickers, mad awesome bright lights, blackedout lenses, super wicked general tires I got from Sears for forty dollars, some random size shift boot, mad skillz shift knob with fake carbon fiber. This is the stuff you put in your sig when you have nothing done to your car but you want to feel kewl with your wire wrap and neon LED underdash lights.
t147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
cab0oze

Ive never used a torque wrench for anything, so i bought one for my BSD kit, and the fkn thing was defective and snapped the first bolt i tightened (oil pan :S). Did the rest by hand, no problems. Just know your own strength, go until its right, but dont kill anything for wheel lugs, and things like that, I check them once or twice after I've driven to make sure everything is still tight enough (I have had the lugs loosen up two times over like 100 wheel changes, but like i said, thats why I check right away)

-edit-
oh, and what i meant to add is you may break bolts whether u use a torque wrench or not... thats what old cars and corrosion does.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
cali_axela
F1 Driver

The only bolt I've ever broken was one of the top strut mount bolts. Then I looked up the torque spec, and whoa... only 30lbs heh. They're not kidding around about that one.
cali_axela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
azrael201
Grand Am Series

yea i was just worried about those two 7mm bolts on the back of the caliper that only need about 20lbs of torque...you know how you aren't satisfied until you put that extra oomph in tightening the bolt.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
th00p
Go-Kart Driver

Well, you'll need a torque wrench to properly torque your lug nuts after you take off the wheel to change the pads...
Old 04-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #10
t147
Le Mans: Prototype Class

torque wrenches are very very helpful and have their place but not every thing needs to be torqued... You probably broke the first bolt you try to tighten with a torque wrench if you don't know how to properly read what torque it's supposed to be at and how to setup your torque wrench. I believe oil pan bolts are measured in Inch/ Lbs not FT/ lbs big big difference. also, adapters over 3" have to be equated in to the overall torque applied.
-CoolGuy stickers, mad awesome bright lights, blackedout lenses, super wicked general tires I got from Sears for forty dollars, some random size shift boot, mad skillz shift knob with fake carbon fiber. This is the stuff you put in your sig when you have nothing done to your car but you want to feel kewl with your wire wrap and neon LED underdash lights.
t147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > MazdaSpeed > MazdaSpeed3 Brakes and Suspension