ATX fluid overfill - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
fat_louis
Moped Rider

Default ATX fluid overfill

Hey everyone, I did a fluid flush and change on my Mazda 3 and my fluid is above the full mark for the 65 degree level on the dip stick by about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. What are the ramifications for overfilling? The transmission seems to function correctly and is much smoother after the fluid change. Anyway, should I drain some of the fluid to get back between the fluid level indicators? If so, why (just for my own edification)?

Thanks
fat_louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
mido
Grand Am Series

Default Re: ATX fluid overfill

From what you have said, its fine.. If you overfill it over half a quart you ristake the risk of blowing the seals out of your transmission. But i dont think that is the case. Mine is overfilled a bit more than yours is and ive been driving it for quite sometime and ive had no problems. Dont worry about it

Btw, did u do the flush yourself, or at a shop? If you paid to have it done, go back to the shop and make them do it right. Also, on the stick, on both sides you will see markings. I dont remember exactly how this works but one side the fluid needs to be at a certain level at operating temperature, and the other side is how high it needs to be when cold. You should check your manual for that. . .
mido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
fat_louis
Moped Rider

Thanks for the reply.

I did it myself and I own a 2005 model, so the dip stick has the markings on one side for 65 deg C and 20 deg C on the other side. Mine is over the 65 deg C full line when cold, which leads me to believe it's over filled by a quart or more. I guess I wan't very concious of how much I was draining when I did the flush.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
mazdachris
Moped Rider

Just curious. When you say it is overfilled when cold. Are you checking it with the engine running? If so, it's over full. Easy fix.
Just put the car up on ramps. Slide under, undue the drain plug slowly. Hold the plug there in place and let some fluid trickle out.
I held the drain pan with my left hand and held the screw with my right. When you figure you have 1/2 a litre out, srew in the drain
bolt.

If you are checking the fluid level with engine cold and off, then turn the engine on and check while running. Fluid should drop
down to below 20C mark. You may regret having it overfull when the fluid expands in the hot summer.
mazdachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
fat_louis
Moped Rider

Good point. I've checked it with the car on and off. I believe you're correct though, the proper way to check is with the engine running. I'm getting a slight odor or trans fluid when I shut the car off, but there are no leaks and nothing coming back up the dipstick.

So why do you suggest draining through the drain plug vs. attaching a tube to the pump and pumping out 1 qt or so. It seems like it would be easier to control and I could pump it right into my empty trans fluid bottle.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
mido
Grand Am Series

Ya no difference, use the pump would be easier.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
mazdachris
Moped Rider

Doh!
Why did I not think of that...............
mazdachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
Skooter3
Moped Rider

Many years ago, my brother destroyed his transmission in a 94 ford probe from over servicing his transmission. It's actually better to run a little low than it is running a little high.

And always check the fluid on the transmission when the car is at operating temperature, running, and on level ground. It's best to check it when you come home from work or something.
Skooter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
mido
Grand Am Series

Wow, i mine must be overfilled like crazy, i just checked it when COLD, (sitting fo 24 hrs) and the level is over the little hunk of metal at the bottom of the dip stick. I wiped it checked again and its really that high! Damn, i should really drain it asap . . . Ive been driving it for a good month now with no probs though.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
mido
Grand Am Series

I got just under a gallon of overfilled tranny fluid! I used a 1 gallon paint can to drain some and i had 1 inch under the paint can rim! I called the oil changers and im getting a refund because of their crappy service. Sucks tho, i got sooo much oil all over my garage floors:S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3