Brake bleeder valve snapped - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
cab0oze

Default Brake bleeder valve snapped

Like every time i do maintenance something goes horribly wrong. I was bleeding my brakes, and I got to the front and realized that it took a different size wrench (9mm instead of 10). Out my toolkit and 3 of my friends toolkits, nobody had anything that fit. I decided to use a socket to loosen it up and then something else to do the open/close job. Put the socket on it, and start turning and SNAP. ARG. Luckily it seems that it snapped off before turning - I went for a drive and the brakes feel a bit mushy (dont think i did a good job bleeding the rears?) but I dont see any evidence of leaking.

Has this happened to anyone else? How hard/expensive is this to fix? is it just a matter of extracting the valve bolt and putting a new one in? Since I have to get my new exhaust installed anyways, i'm considering that I'll just take it in and let the pros fix everything at the same time.

Check out this rusty sonofabitch... think mazda didnt make the caps well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0001.jpg (22.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Img_0001.jpg (22.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Img_0001.jpg (22.6 KB, 8 views)

Old 03-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Gibson486
Go-Kart Driver

Default Re: Brake bleeder valve snapped

if you can extract the old one out, do it. Other wise, it's time for a new caliper. The bleeder screw should run no more than $8, but they run as cheap as $3. It depends on where you go and buy them.

If your brakes are mushy, yeah, you let air in the system. When you put the new fluid in, did it takes time for it to settle down? Also, did air come back up? if so, you let air in in the brake system. You need a full flush now.
Gibson486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
rexseven
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Same thing happened with two of the bleeder screws on my RX-7. I guess Mazda hasn't changed the design in the past 25+ years.

How much of the screw is left sticking out of the caliper? Can you fit a Vise-Grip in there?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
cab0oze

[quote author=RexSeven link=topic=168398.msg3569531#msg3569531 date=1268695278]
Same thing happened with two of the bleeder screws on my RX-7. I guess Mazda hasn't changed the design in the past 25+ years.

How much of the screw is left sticking out of the caliper? Can you fit a Vise-Grip in there?
[/quote]Theres a little bit there, i'm going to just take it to the garage tomorrow and save myself the headache (I have to get my new exhaust installed anyways, so i'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone)

-update-
They ended up replacing the whole damn caliper... I argued with them but they insisted there was no way to fix it. I'm not impressed.

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Suspension / Brakes