H7 HID install help, - retaining clip problems-FIXED - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
sideslide4life
Moped Rider

Default H7 HID install help, - retaining clip problems-FIXED

Hi guys, I have been a member for some time but never really had anything to contribute, but now I have some questions about my HID install.

Background- 2009 MS3 with COBB SRI, PG Inlet.

I ordered my kit straight from DDM but they failed to include the H7 spacer. After a few emails with no response I tried to diy it but that didn't work. I then ordered some spacers from another company and modified them to fit behind the bulbs. The base of the bulbs were too long and hit the end of the spacer. Cutting out the back of the spacer freed up some space for proper fitment. Now the problem is the H7 retaining clip. After taking the kit off the first time due to lack of a spacer, I realized I could not get the clip back behind the tab. It would just scratch the plastic housing and would not go in. So I cut the end of the clip off and it cleared the housing. It took several tries but I eventually got the clip back under the metal tab. However after this last attempt to install these HIDs(number 5 I believe), I cannot get the clip behind the tab.

This is the stock bulb and it is right now just sitting in the housing not really all that secure. AS you can see the right side of the plastic is all scratched up. I can't take the bumper off because the body shop that repainted my bumper stripped the plastic screws that hold the wheel well plastic guard and bumper together.
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to solve this? I will try to call the dealer to get new plastic screws, drill out the old ones, take out the headlights and work on them off the car. Or, I will be looking for another spring clip to replace the ones I cut.
Thanks alot.

Update:
I pulled the bumper which wasn't too difficult and took out the headlights. They are much easier to work on off the car. The drivers side went on fine but the passenger's didn't. I sort of took jurgenk's advice and unscrewed the tab a little, moved it to a better position, put the clip behind the tab and tightened the screw. Everything is secure and looks good now.
sideslide4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
jurgenk
Short Track Racer

Default Re: H7 HID install help, - retaining clip problems

The plastic screws are likely not stripped as what I have had to do is put a very small standard screwdriver or small pry bar under the insert that the screw is in so that there is tension on the screw. Then you should be able to back the screw out and pull the insert. I had to do similar to you before and cut off the end of the retaining clip slightly so that I could get it to engage.

Brad
jurgenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
sideslide4life
Moped Rider

thanks I will try that. I will pull the bumper this weekend and try some things out.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
eastwickspapi
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to eastwickspapi Send a message via Yahoo to eastwickspapi

those damn clips are a pain!
eastwickspapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #5
sideslide4life
Moped Rider

I still can't understand why anyone would choose to put this type of headlight on a car when there are other easier options.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
ziegs2020
Le Mans: Prototype Class

It's a good design, it's the aftermarket that's the problem.
ziegs2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
eastwickspapi
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to eastwickspapi Send a message via Yahoo to eastwickspapi
Default Re: H7 HID install help, - retaining clip problems-FIXED

im havin the same problem with my girls cx7, i cant get the damn clip to close..
but it closed fine on my 3 =-\
eastwickspapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > 2004-2009 Exterior Lighting