Polk Audio vs. JL Audio - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
mechs
Bicycle Rider

Default Polk Audio vs. JL Audio

After hours of searching and reading, i narrowed it down to 2

Polk Audio MM6501 vs. JL XR650-CSi

Both sell for $200

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JL-10W3V3-4-...item51900b64ea

i found this box for my trunk, but i'm not sure if i should go with ported or sealed...then i found this http://www.rtboxes.com/sub-boxes-woo...single-jl-318/ ... after watching the video, quite convincing ... a bit more expensive, but is it worth it?
mechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Steve
Your average forum a**hole

Default Re: Polk Audio vs. JL Audio

First you talk about door speakers, then you suddenly switch to a sub... what are we commenting on here? I have JL Audio door speakers and sub and am happy, although I cant really compare them to anything else.

If you didnt already know, JL audio sells sub/box combos. I think this is a good way to go for you because you'll know that the box is built specifically for that sub and you wont have to worry about mixing and matching.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
andrew1501
Le Mans: Prototype Class

IMO JL makes better amps, but I think Polk audio has them beat as far as component speakers. Not sure on subs since I have only heard cheap sets from both of them
Old 02-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Eternal

JL makes great amps. I have run their subs and they make good subs, just way overpriced for what you get.

But like mentioned, you go from door speakers to subs. What are you looking for? What amp are you going to have powering all of this?

MS3 system build. 3 RE SL 10" subs. 2 Sundown amps. Alpine Type R Comps. 1/0 Wiring. False Floor
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=158293.0
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
mazda freak

Send a message via AIM to mazda freak

Get alpine type r's for sure! They hit hard/pound low and high notes...def one of the best subs..if u look on craigslist (maybe ebay). you could usually get a great deal on them with the sealed box.
2.3L Turbo, 20% All around, Tinted tail-lights, Angel eyes, heon endurance fog lights, Step colder plugs (ITV22), TWM Shifter bushings, Cobb SF intake, Cobb turbo inlet, Forge Recirc Bpv, Rally armor mud flaps, Corksport dp, BC coilovers, SPC chamber arms, cp-e motor mount, cp-e fuel pump, cobb ap-Stage 2 (New rims-fmic and TUNE soon!)
mazda freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Eternal

Musically the Type Rs are not very good. I ran them in my last setup, and they pound amazingly hard, but seemed muddy to me. And have never ever been known for sound quality.

MS3 system build. 3 RE SL 10" subs. 2 Sundown amps. Alpine Type R Comps. 1/0 Wiring. False Floor
Old 02-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
andrew1501

[quote author=Eternal link=topic=167063.msg3542803#msg3542803 date=1265913230]
Musically the Type Rs are not very good. I ran them in my last setup, and they pound amazingly hard, but seemed muddy to me. And have never ever been known for sound quality.
[/quote]

agreed. The misconception is that the type r's are really good since the average Joe without much knowledge just wants loud bass without accuracy and clean sound. For that need then these are for you, but I would rather rely on a higher output single sub that is tuned well with the system.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Steve
Your average forum a**hole

Which is why I went with a JL sub in a box built for it, by JL. Very musical, which is perfect for what I listen to... but when I want it to hit, it hits.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
mazda freak

Send a message via AIM to mazda freak

Yeah i guess...type r's are good with sound too..It all depends on the amp and how u hook them up..my buddy had 2 10" alpine type r's, and they pounded and sound was great better then having a 12" type r becasue the way they were hooked up and the wattage of the amp

And if you want rly good jl's, only go with the Jl w3's! they are one of the top line jl's, and def not bad on the wallet...any other jl's are alright, but if u want quailty, great bass and sound, go with the jl's w3's.

If you mostly just want pound/amazing good bass and some good sound, go with the type r's.
2.3L Turbo, 20% All around, Tinted tail-lights, Angel eyes, heon endurance fog lights, Step colder plugs (ITV22), TWM Shifter bushings, Cobb SF intake, Cobb turbo inlet, Forge Recirc Bpv, Rally armor mud flaps, Corksport dp, BC coilovers, SPC chamber arms, cp-e motor mount, cp-e fuel pump, cobb ap-Stage 2 (New rims-fmic and TUNE soon!)
mazda freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Eternal

Actually W3s are the lower end of JL.
I have owned W6s and W7s. And have owned Type Rs. And just about every other sub known to man above and below those levels. Alpine has never been known for sound quality. If you want good sound, go RE/ID/SunDown/DC/AudioQ/...etc.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with type R's. I liked mine for what they did, but they had no SQ, they were pure SPL. And they were setup perfectly, get get what SQ I could out of them. But to say they sound good (quality wise) is just not true, when being compared to other subs. Type Rs are great for the bestbuy/circuit sity buyer, but not for true audio oriented setups.
If you don't believe me, sign onto some audio forums and see what they have to say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > 2010-2013 Electronics Discussion