Rod knock? How long do these cars really last?? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
kjprrt
Bicycle Rider

Default Rod knock? How long do these cars really last??

I was searching around and found this thread. I too have the same problem:
2005 2.3L 5-speed fully stock with only 71K on mine. Never had a problem except for a failed fuel pump that was replaced under warranty.
I drive in a spirited way but do not abuse my car at all. I've had the oil changed every 5-6K, with the exception of going over the 7.5K recommended interval by 2K miles last month.
A rattle started a few weeks ago - noticed only while engine was cold. Sound disappeared after a few miles every cold morning, but thought I should have it looked at.
Mazda dealership (Cascade Mazda - Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio) diagnosed it as rod knock and recommended engine replacement (remanufactured) for $5,400+ $1,500 labor(??). Mazda tech stated that these particular engines do not have a high tolerance for exceeding oil change interval. WTF?? I've heard of other cars going many many months/miles between oil changes. I can't believe that going over by 2K would have resulted in this. Maybe a ploy to sell me another Mazda? If this particular engine does not have any "tolerance", then no way could you steer me to another Mazda product with this engine. The estimated price of repair alone now meets or exceeds the car's worth!
I'll be taking this car to an independent mechanic this week for a 2nd opinion and see if it's even worth repairing. If the news is the same, I'll trade it in before it's worth zero. The sad part? The last payment was made in December and I had planned to pass this car onto my daughter for college and have it last (at least) another 4 years.
kjprrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
burgmo3
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: Rod knock? How long do these cars really last??

I don't think rod knock just dissapears after it gets warmed up. My engine makes all kinds of different noises when it's cold but dissapear after its warmed up.
Corksport SRI - 35/5% tint - Sumitomo HTR Z - MTX Audio - Lamin-x headlight/foglight film - Part Plaza eyelids - 6000k DDM HID- SR*S Exhaust - Hypertech - Grounded TB - VG Sharkfin Antenna - Mazda Club Of Kansas City http://www.mazdaclubkc.com/
burgmo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
kjprrt
Bicycle Rider

I should have stated that the "rattle" is no more frequent now. Mostly noticed with accelerator movement, just before and after shifts. Also while cruising at 65-70mph. It's an ugly sound!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
ekanddsm

you went 7.5 k between oil changes? wow,

mazda says the theat the recommended maintenece regardless, you ran it out of oil, and looking for justification.

intervals, but they also suggest checking your oil level between maintenence intervals.

there are cheaper alternatives than 5400,

look at these...

http://www.f2usa.com/products/F2-2.0...w-Mazda-3.html

Old 01-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
ekanddsm

highest mileage mazda3 i have put my hands on, had 160k ish last time i saw it, and it goes to texas from cali 3 times a month.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Cesaros
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to Cesaros

[quote author=ekanddsm link=topic=165563.msg3510446#msg3510446 date=1264207901]
you went 7.5 k between oil changes? wow,

mazda says the theat the recommended maintenece regardless, you ran it out of oil, and looking for justification.

intervals, but they also suggest checking your oil level between maintenence intervals.

there are cheaper alternatives than 5400,

look at these...

http://www.f2usa.com/products/F2-2.0...w-Mazda-3.html
[/quote]

7k miles between oil changes is perfectly fine for non turboed vehicles if running fully synthetic oil.
Cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
verto

Send a message via MSN to verto

our cars are known to have loud valve trains.

try getting a second opinion. it may just be valve noise.
MS CAI - F2 CBE - ACT Flywheel - ACT Clutch - ACT Pressure Plate - MS 6 Speed Trans - TWM Desert Eagle Shift Knob - MS Springs - MS Shocks - MS Rear Camber Links - Techna-fit SS Brake Lines - Hawk HPS Pads - Cosworth BSD - Ported TB - 2.0L Oil Filter Conversion - LED Door Sills - Sharkfin Antenna - 35% Tint
verto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
ryukensfj
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to ryukensfj

7.5k is the normal interval stated in the owners manual. 5k is the extreme conditions interval. So I would be saying that stealership is trying to make a quick one.
Current mods:F2 turbo kit, F2 exhaust, F2 BSD, F2 oil baffle kit, F2 rear swaybar, N9TH Racing Trunk Brace, KW V2 Coilovers, SPC Rear Camber Links, Medieval RMM, WORKS RSV with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs, FI Grounding Kit, RKM STS, XenonExpert pedals, 15% tint, 35w DDM 6000K HIDs, Interior LEDs, Lamin-X Yellow Fogs, Sharkfin Antenna
ryukensfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:37 AM   #9
balding geezer

There are numerous posts on these forums about noisy injectors and intake manifolds. The sounds are often compared to rod knock or diesel noise. Something to consider.
balding geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:49 AM   #10
kjprrt
Bicycle Rider

Right. That's why a 2nd opinion is due. Also to clarify, the oil changes never waited til 7.5K. I always did them at 5-6K along with tire rotations at the same time. I don't believe this car should have followed the "extreme" maintenance schedule, as this was just considered the vehicle that takes us back and forth to work 7 days a week, 40 miles a day -all highway. Nothing more than that. As for low oil levels, yes it was check at least once in between changes. No oil leaks, at least not visualized on a clean driveway and garage floor. No idiot lights to mention either. I certainly hope it's valve noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Stock Issues