check Engine Light - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Joe Texas
Bicycle Rider

Default check Engine Light

I used to love my 2005 Mazda3 I, and now it's getting to be a piece of Sh!t. After it passed the 84,000 mark the Check Engine light keeps coming on. 1st time I took it the dealer, they replaced O2 Sensor, cost over $ 300.00. Then, 2nd time Check Engine light came on, I took the car back to the dealer, they replaced the fuel injectors, cost over $ 300.00. 3rd time it came on, took the card back to the dealer again, they said Ignitions coils were misfiring, so they replaced #1, #3. Cost close to $ 400. Now, this present, the Check Engine light came on again. This time I took the car to Autozone parts store, and had them read the the codes with their OBDII. The guy said, its a Fuel cap problem, so I bought a new gas cap from them. The Check Engine light went away. 3 days later, it came back on again. Took the car to Autozone parts store again had them read the code, it said it's the Fuel cap again, just need to tighten it up until I hear the clicks. I took the gas cap off and put it again by twisting until I heard the clicks. Autozone guy reset the car and Check Engine light went off. Well, this morning the Check Engine light came on again. So this morning I just went to the Mazda parts & bought the factory fuel cap, cost $32.00. I just un-plugged the car battery cable for a couple of mins, & plugged the battery cable again just to clear the Check Engine light. I drove car home this afternoon for about 45 mins from work. No lights came up yet. Once I parked in the driveway. I shut down the engine, hour later started the engine just to see, and nothing yet. So far I've replaced, O2 sensor, fuel injectors, ignitions coils, fuel cap. By the way, I'm doing the preventive maintenance, every 3,000.
Joe Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
mazda3zmzm
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: check Engine Light

dam bro....sounds like there was alot of problems. im pretty sure you cleared everything up by now. just make sure your up to date with oil changes, and tune-ups, and always make sure your gas cap is tight, and all your sensors are plugged in tightly. battery corrosion can cause engine lights to come on also, so just make sure you frequently check all of that, and hopefully no more engine light! i been there too bro, i hate engine light. its ugly and annoying!
mazda3zmzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
ekanddsm
Le Mans: Prototype Class

why? why were the injectors replaced? o2 sensor? ignition coils?

what was the diagnosis for changing those parts?

they dont all go bad at once?

the autozone guy is a parts guy not a mechanic, he sells you parts.
when he read the dtc, diagnostic trouble code, it more than likely read p0455,p0456, gross/small evap leak detected. meaning there was a small leak in the vapor recovery system(the dead space above the fuel in the fuel tank) system. most commonly a leaking fuel cap.

sounds to me like you need to have the code checked again,and if it is a evaporative recovery system problem,

pay the diagnositic fee, usually 1 hour at the shops labor rate, and find out the problem.

3 things die on the mazda3, evap related.
1)fuel cap
2)purge solenoid, next the the battery on top of the engine.
3)leak detection pump, on top of the rear suspension subframe, pain in the ass to replace without a lift.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
mazda3zmzm

those could be possible engine light issues. sounds right. i just hope it has nothing to do with the ecu. hopefully thats not malfunctioning, triggering all the sensors and pumps to go bad. maybe try resetting the ecu? if that dont change 1% of anything, just sell the sucker. thats what i would do if my car had that many problems. your gonna be spending more money on parts and labor, when you could buy a new or used car for the same price. thats the worst case scenario hope it dont come down to that...

mazda3s never have that many problems that i know of. normally they lasts a very long time before acting up
Old 01-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Joe Texas
Bicycle Rider

The 1st time I got the Check Engine light, the car just stalls. Whenever I let go the gas pedal the engine dies. So, when I'm on the intersection I had to put the gear on Neutral while my right foot is pressing the gas pedal, and used my left foot to press the brake pedal. Also when I was cruising the highway, when I got into a traffic jam, put the gear on neutral, press the gas, I drove like this all the way to the dealership. I had to leave my car there, and the next day they told me I had to replaced the 02 sensor. It was bad. The 2nd time Check Engine light came on, car stalled again, I drove it back to the dealership again. This time different issues. I notice something, when my car's Check Engine light comes on, and car starts to stall, it's either O2 sensor, misfiring, fuel injectors. On the last Check Engine light, I just took it to Autozone because the car wasn't driving rough. Nothing indicated it was serious. I drove it around the big parking lot, let go the gas pedal. I drove it to a back road slammed the brake and the engine was still running., didn't cut off. So, I just drove it to the Autozone and had them read the code, and save $84.00 on what the dealership charged me to run a diagnostics. But if the engine stalled again, yeah, I'll drive it straight to the dealer again. It's now 4 days from the last check engine light, and good so far. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't trust this car for long driving. Not, right now anyway. I do a lot of driving from San Antonio to Austin, or to Houston. But not now. I don't want to get stranded in the middle of no where.
Joe Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
mazda3zmzm

dam man...idk what to say :shock: if its causing you alot of problems, try trading it in before it gets worse...thats what i did to my old sentra SER. it had alot of sensor problems and i couldnt take it anymore, so just traded it in for my mazda3 that im currently driving now. so its your call what you wanna do bro....hope everything works out for you
Old 01-25-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
lnthai
Moped Rider

Send a message via AIM to lnthai

Wow, sorry about your problems. If you ever run into the O2 sensor problem again, you should look into replacing it yourself. I replaced two of my sensors back when I had my old 97 Honda Accord. It wasn't too difficult and the sensor was only $70.
lnthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Stock Issues