Splash Guard/Shield Needs Repair - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
jerrymann
Moped Rider

Default Splash Guard/Shield Needs Repair

Okay, yes it is very boring, but my splash guard under the engine, the one we have to remove for oil change & coolant change, is really screwed up.

The lateral stiffener is long gone, so it sags. When I back up in snow, it scoops up snow and compacts it between engine and guard. When I tried to remove it to repair it, the screws just turn and turn and there is no easy way to get a pliers on the top side to stop the spinning. I am due for a coolant flush by my mechanic next week and don't want him to charge me for hours of messing around with my lousy splash shield.

Any suggestions for what to do? I mean I can figure it out, but wondered if anyone has gone through this and has some wisdom to share. I searched forums but nothing found.

Thanks,

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maz3snow-2.jpg (108.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg maz3snow-2.jpg (108.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg maz3snow-2.jpg (108.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg maz3snow-2.jpg (108.6 KB, 57 views)
jerrymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
bradleybp2002
Bicycle Rider

Default Re: Splash Guard/Shield Needs Repair

Hi Jerry,
I've gone through the issues with the splash guard from changing my oil. Regarding the screws, you'll need to go in with a plyers to hold the square bracket while unscrewing the screw. I purchased replacement screws from my mazda dealership for a few bucks so i could replace them and not have the issue. Hope this helps.
bradleybp2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
cab0oze

I have the same issues with my splash shield... I plan on fixing it for good as soon as it warms up, and maybe i'll do a quick how-to as well. There shouldn't be a need in buying anything at the mazda dealer, you should be able to get everything you need at your local hardware store for a lot cheaper.

One thing you could do is just take off the splash shield before going into the shop... itll save you them some time, and it will also prevent them from losing parts and making the situation worse. My cars previous owners always went to the shop for oil changes... when i did my first oil change i noticed half of the screws for the splash shield were missing because they must have lost one at every service :x

cab0oze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
jerrymann
Moped Rider

I appreciate the replies... I guess there's no magic bullet on this one. I will try to get the car up higher so I can get at the square nuts on the topside of the pan. Going to take some limbering up for this job...

Really bad design, with the nuts that can spin on top. I will try to find a sheet metal screw big enough to just thread into everything and hope that holds. I've done nearly all my oil changes and I lost a bunch of screws and clips. Really bad system for a component that needs to come down every 3-4 months.

At least synthetic oil makes the interval longer, but then that gives the screws/nuts more time to rust in between changes. Top top it off, I cut an access hole in the pan so I can remove the oil filter without removing the splash pan... so now those bolts are really rusted tight!

Jerry
jerrymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
cab0oze

Yeah, the rust is a big pita, and it sucks that you have to take the splash shield off for nearly every DIY job. Like i said, i'm going to take all that old rusty crap off and replace it with nice new stainless hardware and hopefully it holds up better.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
graymazda3auto
Short Track Racer

I have the same problem with the rusty screws and missing screws so for the past several months I have had zip ties up in some spots holding the splash shield on nice and tight.

I am thinking of just removing the whole thing after this winter and leaving it off I am so sick of it!

Anyone think it's risky not to have it on? Could any parts get wet/damaged without it on there?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
cab0oze

[quote author=graymazda3auto link=topic=165034.msg3513786#msg3513786 date=1264451021]
I have the same problem with the rusty screws and missing screws so for the past several months I have had zip ties up in some spots holding the splash shield on nice and tight.

I am thinking of just removing the whole thing after this winter and leaving it off I am so sick of it!

Anyone think it's risky not to have it on? Could any parts get wet/damaged without it on there?
[/quote]Well probably wont help the metal any with all the extra water, and if you scrape something you're going to be scraping metal rather than plastic which would be pretty bad.... but meh, most cars dont even have one, i dont think its the end of the world if you take it off.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
graymazda3auto
Short Track Racer

Thanks, yeah, that's what I figured. Forum members go either way in regards to the splash shield. I'm nervous about not having it but at the same time like you said some cars do not even have them. I think I am going to remove it. I've noticed it rattling lately on my passenger side because it must have shifted a little since all that is holding it up more or less is zip ties!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #9
BenS
Moped Rider

If you guys remove the shield, MPGs will probably go down. It looks to me like it's supposed to smooth airflow under the car. I know its a PITA, but IMO you should get the Mazda hardware and do it right. You may regret it later for reasons we can't see now.
BenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
cab0oze

[quote author=BenS link=topic=165034.msg3534667#msg3534667 date=1265543755]
If you guys remove the shield, MPGs will probably go down. It looks to me like it's supposed to smooth airflow under the car. I know its a PITA, but IMO you should get the Mazda hardware and do it right. You may regret it later for reasons we can't see now.
[/quote]interesting idea.... you may have a point (for highway mileage) but it wouldn't be a tremendous impact. For city driving, it might actually help due to the decreased weight :P haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela) > Technical Information, FAQ's, How-To's