Lifting 2010 Mazda 3 for tire rotation? Torque wheels to...? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Snowbird
Go-Kart Driver

Default Lifting 2010 Mazda 3 for tire rotation? Torque wheels to...?

My 2010 Mazda 3 hatch has about 6k miles on it now and I'm going to have the tires rotated next week. Due to a tight schedule, I plan to have the monkeys at Tire King do the work. Scary.

Where should the lift be placed? On the side rails? Are the sport model rocker covers in peril?

What is the torque spec for the aluminum wheels? Is one of those torque limiters sufficient to insure proper tightening, or should I insist on an actual torque wrench?

Should I self remove the wheel locks before taking the car in?

Is this the correct rotation pattern:
Fronts straight back, rears to front but on opposite sides?

Anything else I should know before hand?

Since I can't do it myself, should I take it to a dealer? The car is (and will be) over 1000 miles from the dealer I bought it at.

Such a simple job with so many possibilities for damage.

I searched and the best I came up with was this on a 2008:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=161776.0
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
recall
Go-Kart Driver

Default Re: Lifting 2010 Mazda 3 for tire rotation? Torque wheels to...?

Aren't your treads directional? This means that a rotation will involve just moving the fronts to the rears.

The side rails should be able to support the car when lifting, though you could also use the front lower control arm mounts to pick the car up (see http://www.corksport.com/blogs/03-20...rstLook/02.jpg). The manual should cover this, but I know the first gen. 3's manual was written for someone with the intellect of a dog... The Tire King guys should hopefully at least know how to lift the car.

I've never been especially careful about wheel lug torque, I believe I use setting 2 of 4 on a craftsman impact. I can't imagine how much torque it would take to break something, and only someone numb to the world wouldn't see that coming.
recall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
john_in_the_lbc

all of this information is in your manual...(jack points, tire rotation, torque specs...)
i torque mine with a torque wrench to 85 ft/lbs. manual says 65-93
if the impact wrench is properly adjusted, that is probably fine...but i don't see how are you gonna know that....i'd just double-check them afterward if you don't feel you can trust them to know what they are doing.

just give them the lug key...
2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
My car thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...857#msg1872857
john_in_the_lbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Snowbird
Go-Kart Driver

If the manual wasn't over a thousand miles away, I would have looked there. Really.

I'll be delighted if the manual really has the info, considering the fact that it does not list the number of the replacement oil filter. Or at least two days of on and off searching did not divine the answer. Worst manual I've ever seen and I've seen some bad ones.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Snowbird
Go-Kart Driver

[quote author=recall link=topic=164739.msg3492394#msg3492394 date=1263232702]
Aren't your treads directional? This means that a rotation will involve just moving the fronts to the rears.

The side rails should be able to support the car when lifting, though you could also use the front lower control arm mounts to pick the car up (see http://www.corksport.com/blogs/03-20...rstLook/02.jpg). The manual should cover this, but I know the first gen. 3's manual was written for someone with the intellect of a dog... The Tire King guys should hopefully at least know how to lift the car.

I've never been especially careful about wheel lug torque, I believe I use setting 2 of 4 on a craftsman impact. I can't imagine how much torque it would take to break something, and only someone numb to the world wouldn't see that coming.
[/quote]

I have no idea if the tires on my car are directional. How would I find that out for sure? I've never noticed a rotational arrow on the side wall... but then again, I've never looked.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
john_in_the_lbc

hmm, i keep the owners manual in the glovebox.
you can download one for your car/year at mymazda.com
http://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/displ...earHome.action

i never needed the part number for the filter... if the place you're buying at cannot tell you the correct part for your vehicle, i'd go elsewhere. jmo

oem tires are rotated front to back (they are directional).
there are bumps under the car indicating the proper jack points.
2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
a1rh3adsz
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to a1rh3adsz

hey sorry to steal ur thread but i was wondering how long do you rotate the tires?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
john_in_the_lbc

mazda recommends every 5000-7500 miles, more if you are experiencing uneven wear...

i just do it when i change oil.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
a1rh3adsz
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to a1rh3adsz

[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=164739.msg3493281#msg3493281 date=1263260639]
mazda recommends every 5000-7500 miles, more if you are experiencing uneven wear...

i just do it when i change oil.
[/quote]

oo. but you keep doing that until the tires have no more life?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
john_in_the_lbc

yes. ideally you'll keep them wearing evenly so you don't need 2 tires before all 4 are gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela)