Question about replacing the Mazda 3 stock head unit - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
JeremyTj
Moped Rider

Default Question about replacing the Mazda 3 stock head unit

Hi there,

My Mazda 3 stock radio unit looks like this: http://ladyann.ca/Gallery/Mazda3/Maz...Dashboard.jpg.
It has a display. Are this head unit and that LCD display ONE PART?
I want to take this unit out and to replace it with this Mazda 3 1-DIN frame cover: http://www.navaudio.nl/products/Mazd...--1-din.html#.
Is it possible to do that and to keep the LCD display and to keep it FUNCTIONING (e.g. showing stuff like climate control temperature, outside temperature and all).

Thanks!

Jeremy.
JeremyTj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
john_in_the_lbc

Default Re: Question about replacing the Mazda 3 stock head unit

at some point, mazda changed from a hard wired LCD to one that plugs into the HU for controls...
if you have one that unplugs, i believe you can set the function to one you like and then remove the HU, but you cannot change the function without re-attaching the oem HU.

as far as i know, there isn't a good/easy way to keep all the functions without relocating the stock HU somewhere in the vehicle so it can remain connected.

maybe looke here.... http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=37499.0

2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
My car thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...857#msg1872857
john_in_the_lbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
JeremyTj
Moped Rider

Thanks for the answer!

In the case that I can keep my display when I replace my head unit, will the outside temperature still be there and can I still use the AMB button to switch to inside (climate control) temperature?

In other words, does that part of the display function completely without the stock head unit?

Thanks.

Jeremy.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
john_in_the_lbc

i think that might still work normally but again since there are so many variations, and you are not in the US, I cannot be certain.
the stock HU is easy to remove or disconnect temporarily, so you can always verify before making any final decisions or purchases.
2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
My car thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...857#msg1872857
john_in_the_lbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
peeaanuut
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut

from what I understand, it has to do with auto climate control vs manual control. My MS3 keeps the display but I lose clock and stereo display. But I still have the climate info.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
JeremyTj
Moped Rider

[quote author=peeaanuut link=topic=164571.msg3499771#msg3499771 date=1263612812]
from what I understand, it has to do with auto climate control vs manual control. My MS3 keeps the display but I lose clock and stereo display. But I still have the climate info.
[/quote]

I don't have a Speed, but I do have climate control.
Are you saying that the models with climate control have a detachable lcd (so I can use it with an aftermarket head unit)?
...Or is it (don't hope so) the other way around...

Jeremy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > 2004-2009 Electronics Discussion