How do you reset the airbag ligt for Mazda 3? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
deluxman
Short Track Racer

Send a message via Yahoo to deluxman
Default How do you reset the airbag ligt for Mazda 3?

The airbag light above the battery light suddently lights up. Does anyone know how to short/reset the airbag light in Mazda 3? I saw in metacafe.com that there is a way to short the socket in Honda but not sure about Mazda 3. If anyones has ever done, please share it with me. Thanks!!
deluxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
c_thur
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: How do you reset the airbag ligt for Mazda 3?

Is this because you replaced a seat or something? or did it just come on...
If the latter, you should get it properly diagnosed. It's an active restraint system and your insurance and safety check might not take kindly to the system being done.
If the former, I think a few people have tried placing resistors across the clips to present the computer with a false load...
Old 12-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
kestrelprodigal

Are you sure you have nothing on your seat when the light goes on? The other reason it will go on is if you have the seat belt plugged in with nobody in the seat.

But if its not of those I agree with c_thur I would get it checked out it, it could be a small problem but it could also be something bigger.
kestrelprodigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
jolax
Moped Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to jolax

Yeah, it just turned on without anything being done. I never had the seat romoved or replaced. I was told that there is an issue with Mazda 3 seatbelt buckel that may have vaused the light to light on.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Driver-WSH
Bicycle Rider

Was a conclusion every reached? I'm having a similar problem.

Does the dealership usually charge to inspect/reset your airbag light???
Driver-WSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
kestrelprodigal

[quote author=Driver-WSH link=topic=163637.msg3477871#msg3477871 date=1262302313]
Was a conclusion every reached? I'm having a similar problem.

Does the dealership usually charge to inspect/reset your airbag light???
[/quote]

They shouldn't if you are still under warranty.
kestrelprodigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
automaticman
Le Mans: Prototype Class

the light will turn off if whatever caused it to go off is fixed. Does the passenger seat indicator in the center console still light up for a few seconds when you start the car? if that bulb burns out it will turn on the dash light. It is the same low-wattage bulb that is used in the glovebox (at least in my 2005) if you want to test a new one.
automaticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
deluxman
Short Track Racer

Send a message via Yahoo to deluxman

Yeah, it was the center console bulb that burns out. Since I am out of warranty, dealer charged me $50 to do the diagnosis and to replace and reset the light, they charge me $181 in total. $6 for the bulb and about $170 for the resetting the light. If by replacing the bulb will turn off the light, I am definitely being ripped off by the dealer as the bulb itself that should have cost like $0.50, I was charged for $6.... :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
deluxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
jolax
Moped Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to jolax

[quote author=automaticman link=topic=163637.msg3479447#msg3479447 date=1262461354]
the light will turn off if whatever caused it to go off is fixed. Does the passenger seat indicator in the center console still light up for a few seconds when you start the car? if that bulb burns out it will turn on the dash light. It is the same low-wattage bulb that is used in the glovebox (at least in my 2005) if you want to test a new one.
[/quote]

By the way, how do u remove the console to replace the bulb? Is it easy to do it? Is there a thread that tells you a step by step on how to remove the console to get to the bulb?? Thanks!!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
icspots
Super Moderator

[quote author=jolax link=topic=163637.msg3482429#msg3482429 date=1262655621]
[quote author=automaticman link=topic=163637.msg3479447#msg3479447 date=1262461354]
[/quote]

By the way, how do u remove the console to replace the bulb? Is it easy to do it? Is there a thread that tells you a step by step on how to remove the console to get to the bulb?? Thanks!!
[/quote]

you can remove the cupholders and shifter surround by pulling up to release the tension clips (unscrew the shift knob if you have a MTX), remove the two screws below the ashtray and then pull that entire piece free. You can pop the light receptacle free from the back of the panel and replace the bulb. It might take a little effort to get loose the first time, but it's not all that hard.
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > 2004-2009 Electronics Discussion