Front Suspension Binding (Bad Half Shaft?) - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Oricle

Default Front Suspension Binding (Bad Half Shaft?)

the problem is easily recreated when reversing while turning sharp, like reversing out from a parking spot. the front suspension will make an audible clunk and the car will jerk vertically, that is usually accompanied with a shake on the steering wheel. the car drives completely fine and makes no unusual noises when driving in a straight/relatively straight path. the suspension feels tight when doing my shake test and all bolts are torqued to spec.

my only thought is a bad half shaft (sounds like its coming from the passenger side). how does one diagnose a half shaft problem, and how would i narrow down what shaft has the issue? also, mazda lists different shafts for each side (25-400 passenger, 25-400z driver), yet Advance Auto Parts only lists a single part# (NCV47562). does any one know if they are different from side to side?
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3