hks ssqv on recirc... backfire normal? rather dissapointing sound... - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
super_pablo_
Short Track Racer

Default hks ssqv on recirc... backfire normal? rather dissapointing sound...

ok so, I just got my hks ssqv on the mail yesterday, im all excited about it, i get the freakin valve in the flange after a few attempts... then I install it in my car (recirculated) and go for a little test drive...

i hear the sound of... i dont even know... shitty shifter stuff falling apart or something??
... i didnt hear what i was expecting.. it sounded like there was something wrong with the engine... not really "cool" sound at all.
so i thought, well maybe the recirc hose is bent or somethiing... (close fit)... came back moved it around a bit, then drove again... same thing

... except the second time i drove it... i had a backfire when shifting to 4th

anyway...

im a bit dissapointed (not entirely cause i did feel a bit more boost at high rpm) and im not sure what to do... i considered trying out vta before I sold it and went back to stock, but i also wanted to hear your input on why it is bad to do VTA... i know its not recommended but.. why? whats the risk? if its already backfiring ... whats the big deal?

I drove again today and I heard a backfire again, this time a bit louder...

ive only been driving for about 1 hour total since i put in on, and it backfired twice... not sure what to do...

also, i have intake and inlet, and soon ill be installing cobb dp and borla cbe
will this make it worse? or improve it?

thanks
MS CAI, COBB turbo inlet, COBB downpipe, BORLA CBE, Cobb Access Port, Denso Iridium ITV-22's, solid shifter bushings, CP-e rear motor mount, Enkei EDR9 18", lamin-x'd tail and fog lights, 10" stealth sub, Kicker KS650 front speakers, Oil catch can, cp-e fuel pump, etc.
super_pablo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
say chi sin lo
F1 Driver

Default Re: hks ssqv on recirc... backfire normal? rather dissapointing sound...

what does it sound like?
say chi sin lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
super_pablo_
Short Track Racer

Default Re: hks ssqv on recirc... backfire normal? rather dissapointing sound...

[quote author=Say Chi Sin Lo link=topic=162290.msg3445530#msg3445530 date=1260136483]
what does it sound like?
[/quote]

well... kinda like something poping in the catback exhaust...
i read a bit... it ISNT too loud, so... maybe afterfire?... i dont realy know much, but yea.. any input helps, thanks
MS CAI, COBB turbo inlet, COBB downpipe, BORLA CBE, Cobb Access Port, Denso Iridium ITV-22's, solid shifter bushings, CP-e rear motor mount, Enkei EDR9 18", lamin-x'd tail and fog lights, 10" stealth sub, Kicker KS650 front speakers, Oil catch can, cp-e fuel pump, etc.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
speed_3
Grand Am Series

have a hks ssqv in recirc too...backfires randomly (not too loudly though) but not very often...also, my valve sounds fine (just a softer version of the typical ssqv sound)...in low boost it sounds more like a low pitched sound kind of like an owl hooting or something...
is your recirc fitting in properly? all connections tight?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
super_pablo_
Short Track Racer

sounds very similar to what ur describing... i was afraid it was normal... hmm... i wish i woudlnt have spent those 200 dlls on it, thanks

[quote author=speed_3 link=topic=162290.msg3445894#msg3445894 date=1260155738]
have a hks ssqv in recirc too...backfires randomly (not too loudly though) but not very often...also, my valve sounds fine (just a softer version of the typical ssqv sound)...in low boost it sounds more like a low pitched sound kind of like an owl hooting or something...
is your recirc fitting in properly? all connections tight?
[/quote]
Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
rmgedon69
Le Mans: GT Class

[quote author=super_pablo_ link=topic=162290.msg3446045#msg3446045 date=1260160820]
sounds very similar to what ur describing... i was afraid it was normal... hmm... i wish i woudlnt have spent those 200 dlls on it, thanks

[quote author=speed_3 link=topic=162290.msg3445894#msg3445894 date=1260155738]
is your recirc fitting in properly?  all connections tight?
[/quote]
[/quote]

don't have hks but, if it does have adjustments, try loosen it up. 
- You know what excites me the most about life? Death. It's definitely 100% pure, unbiased, certain, & undeniable climactic phase that will literally takes your breath away. The anticipation is killing me.
rmgedon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
that1rowdyracer
Short Track Racer

You also got to make sure you reset your computer, when ever you put mods on your car you need to reset the computer so it can learn properly, but yes a little backfire is normal. WRX's and EVO's do it all the time and damn theres are loud.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
super_pablo_
Short Track Racer

[quote author=That1RowdyRacer link=topic=162290.msg3446325#msg3446325 date=1260194353]
You also got to make sure you reset your computer, when ever you put mods on your car you need to reset the computer so it can learn properly, but yes a little backfire is normal. WRX's and EVO's do it all the time and damn theres are loud.
[/quote]

by that you mean disconnect/reconnect battery?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
speed_3
Grand Am Series

[quote author=super_pablo_ link=topic=162290.msg3446045#msg3446045 date=1260160820]
[/quote]

i dont know if it has to do with the ecu re-learning or weather/temp or what, but the backfiring is should become rare and only happen once in a while...come to think of it, mine hasn't backfired in over a week or so now...it usually happens with quick shifts (abruptly lifting off the throttle)...is the backfiring the only thing you dont like about the valve?

i dont think the new ones are adjustable
Old 12-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
super_pablo_
Short Track Racer

[quote author=speed_3 link=topic=162290.msg3446719#msg3446719 date=1260210544]
[/quote]

is the backfiring the only thing you dont like about the valve?

i dont think the new ones are adjustable
[/quote]

actually the backfiring isnt too bad, its only happened 3 times now.. and its not to lound... its mostly the sound of the valve
also i was wondering what the cobb dp would do for it.. improve or worsen or no change..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > MazdaSpeed > MazdaSpeed3 Modifications