Automatic Transmission Grinding - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
aunttuna24
Bicycle Rider

Default Automatic Transmission Grinding

I have an '06 3 with 44,000 miles. I've owned the car for about three months and it's been overall a good car. However, lately I've noticed that the transmission sounds likes it's grinding when it goes into 2nd gear from 3rd. For example, if I am driving and slow down to turn right, when I accelerate after turning, the car downshifts into 2nd, but when it does this it takes 1.5-2 seconds to downshift and during so there is a pretty noticeable, what sounds like a slight grinding sound. I took it to my dealership and because no codes came up, they said nothing was wrong with it. I would really like to know if something is wrong with the transmission as the factory warranty will run out 3/2010. Any ideas of what might be wrong, or is this something that a lot of AT m3 owners have?
aunttuna24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
AtomSphere
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: Automatic Transmission Grinding

Dirty ATF fluid? You changed it?
AtomSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
aunttuna24
Bicycle Rider

oh yeah, i guess i should have mentioned that. when it first happened, i changed the fluid. still happening..
aunttuna24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
mido
Grand Am Series

I have the EXACT same sound as you. And it happens off and on when i decelerate to turn, and then when i try to accelerate again, it makes that sound. I know exactly what your talking about. I havent found a solution i just learned to ignore it guess. But if it really is grinding then i guess thats a bad thing! :shock:.. It doesnt happen all the time. i also notice that when its happening during the 1 second grinding sound the car has no power, like AFTER it shifts then u feel it pull you, but its as if its dead during that second while changing gears.
mido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
felixtibs
Grand Am Series

Only when turning? Power steering maybe?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
krazyk86cu
F1 Driver

[quote author=felixtibs link=topic=160867.msg3421555#msg3421555 date=1258517925]
Only when turning? Power steering maybe?
[/quote]

ha. I've had mine go out in the middle of a turn before. that was not pleasant. I've driven cars without powersteering before but when that shit goes out randomly..... bout ran into a tree

Click sig ^ for new ride and HERE for old
krazyk86cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
ElJay
Short Track Racer

I know the sound you're talking about. Mine does it too in certain situations, shifting 3 to 2, usually while turning. I figure it's just a way this lame transmission works in its attempt to make a soft shift. Just Mazda's way of reminding us that they hate customer loyalty and have no clue how to build a robust automatic transaxle.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
mazdachris
Moped Rider

Glad I'm not the only one. (No offence) I thought I was losing it. I do notice that grinding noise. It's also slipping in the turn. However, I've kept close watch of the gears, (hard to do while turning), but it stays in third. Like it's too stupid to downshift into second where it should be. Damdest thing. i have changed the fluid/filter when it first started happening. No change. Can't see why it would slip. It's not exactly like clutch/flyweel operation like a manual. Fluid drivin i thought.
mazdachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
mido
Grand Am Series

My dealer is re flashing my 06 as there are some new updates for the computer. Hopefully this fixes it .
mido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
cclngthr
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to cclngthr Send a message via MSN to cclngthr

Should not grind at all. Sounds like you should take it to a trans shop for a second opinion. Sounds as the clutch packs are slipping badly.

This a 4 speed or 5 speed ATX?
cclngthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3