05 Mazda 3 Corrosion Success Story!! - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
4stroke
Moped Rider

Default 05 Mazda 3 Corrosion Success Story!!

Howdy....

I have an 05 Mazda GS, bought in London, ON.

I discovered rust on rear wheel wells earlier this year, and have watched it develop.
At the same time, I was reading the threads here regarding the same issue on other M3's in Canada.

Here's my story...

The rust started developing on LH rear wheel well in the winter of 08 (@ approx 75k km). Didn't think much until reading this forum, and seeing others with same issue.

Rust continued to develop this spring/summer. Now extensive rust on LH well as well as rear RH well (underside).

I then went to my Mazda dealer in London, armed & prepared for a fight over the definition of "perforation" rust, and ready to detail other owners' success in covering this issue. When I called them, they were not surprised to hear of 'rust' issues. I brought it in, and within 5 minutes of arrival, the service manager greeted me, and started taking pictures of my car.

She new exactly where to look, and in fact showed me other areas of my car that had become corroded. In addition to my wheel wells, 3 of the 4 pax doors showed a subtle 'bubbling' in between seams.

She told me that 1) 90% sure all corrosion would be covered; and 2) all Mazda 3's have been re-warranteed with 6 year perforation rust warranty. She would call Mazda Canada with photos to confim coverage.

She said that this issue started rearing its head in 07, about 3 years after the 04 model. At first, all claims were rejected. After so many claims came in, Mazda Canada realized this was a manufacturing issue, and therefore increased peforation rust warranty to 6 years, and began accepting the claims. They did so even with small rust issues, since they knew these cars would be coming back in a year or two with more rust.

So......the answer came back to me.....all corrosions issues will be covered by Mazda @ 100%

She also asked that I come on this forum to inform all M3 owners that Mazda Canada is AWARE of this issue, and will now cover repairs under warranty, provided they meet the new corrosion definitions. Mazda 3 models from 2004-2006 will likely be affected now, but WATCH YOUR CAR. She also said the 2010 Mazda 3 has fixed this manufacturing issue......it took that long to develop & correct.

Anyhoo.......I have pictures and will post them soon. Until then, I still love my Mazda 3, and am quite pleased with Probart Mazda in London.........and encourage all M3 owners to take a good look at theirs, and send 'em in if there is any rust.

I hope that helps,
4Stroke.
4stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
cab0oze

Default Re: 05 Mazda 3 Corrosion Success Story!!

So what if we're out of warranty now because they wouldn't fix it at the time?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
airman jack
F1 Driver

REALLY.... 4stroke you ROCK, we should seriously ask a mod to sticky this, as us early-adopters only have one year left to get that fixed!!

I have one question though, what are the "new corrosion definitions" that you were talking about?

airman jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
blam
F1 Driver

mother fuck.....

i sanded and painted my rear wheel wells like 2 weeks ago.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
cab0oze

[quote author=Airman Jack link=topic=160665.msg3414227#msg3414227 date=1258045438]
REALLY.... 4stroke you ROCK, we should seriously ask a mod to sticky this, as us early-adopters only have one year left to get that fixed!!

I have one question though, what are the "new corrosion definitions" that you were talking about?
[/quote]Eh? Wouldn't rust only be covered by the 3 yr bumper to bumper...?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
rossisboss
Le Mans: Prototype Class

does this issue apply to later manufactured cars? or the speed 3? as I do live in a region with snow and road salt I'm interested in preventing a loss of my car from corrosion, I'd rather blow it up, rust sucks.

which is why I got it "hot oiled" to prevent under body and rocker rotting, as well as inside the quarters and doors... a real mess but worth it from what I've seen.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
4stroke
Moped Rider

[quote author=Cab0oze link=topic=160665.msg3413898#msg3413898 date=1258025293]
[/quote]

I think that if its a 2004 or later model (didn't the 3 start in 2004 anyway?) you are still covered, since its now a 6 year perforation rust warranty.

As for the rust definition - they way it reads in my warranty manual is that it must be 'perforation' rust. The service dealer told me that it means "poke a hole through it" essentially.

However, if it is on those areas (rear wheel wells, door seams), they realize that the rust will BECOME perforated, and are therefore fixing it now.

That's the way it was explained to me. Ask your dealer for further specifics, and if the rust on your car meets the criteria.

If they brush it off, take the pictures & send em up the chain to Mazda Canada....

Good luck,
4Stroke.
4stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:36 AM   #8
Split98
Grand Am Series

What Mazda dealership did you take it to?

You mind me bringing you up if I have any issues with this?

EDIT: Just re-read and saw Probart. Surprising.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #9
cab0oze

[quote author=4Stroke link=topic=160665.msg3416566#msg3416566 date=1258160731]
[quote author=Cab0oze link=topic=160665.msg3413898#msg3413898 date=1258025293]
[/quote]

I think that if its a 2004 or later model (didn't the 3 start in 2004 anyway?) you are still covered, since its now a 6 year perforation rust warranty.

As for the rust definition - they way it reads in my warranty manual is that it must be 'perforation' rust. The service dealer told me that it means "poke a hole through it" essentially.

However, if it is on those areas (rear wheel wells, door seams), they realize that the rust will BECOME perforated, and are therefore fixing it now.

That's the way it was explained to me. Ask your dealer for further specifics, and if the rust on your car meets the criteria.

If they brush it off, take the pictures & send em up the chain to Mazda Canada....

Good luck,
4Stroke.
[/quote]Oh shit.... So i have to get my car into the dealership ASAP! man too bad i already painted it 6 months ago... maybe ill sand the paintback off lol

Will they cover bubbling door pillars, or bubbling 3rd brake light?
Old 11-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
devil2k
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via MSN to devil2k

I highly doubt my dealership would do much. I've told 'em before that it was rusting and they simply told me it's because of stone chips. I remember 'em rusting even months after getting the car.
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Regional > Canada