shocking brake repair estimate! - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
blaster1985
Bicycle Rider

Default shocking brake repair estimate!

Hi, my mechanic just gave me an estimate on my Mazda 3 for a brake repair job. He recommends pads and rotors replaced, front and back: $800.00; if I change the calipers all around, $1700.00. Is this a resonable price? I don't see the need to change the caliper just in case they might seize up down the road. I really find this to be an over the top quote; opinions?
blaster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
justint5387
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: shocking brake repair estimate!

Wow, what a rip off. There should be no need to change the calipers. Brake pads and rotors should cost no more than $400 all around if you are just replacing with OEM replacements.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
manny
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to manny

Find another mechanic. How many miles do you have on your car? If it is time to have some brake work done, what kind of driving do you do? A top of the line set of performance rotors, pads, lines and fluid should be around 700 bucks just for parts. Even for an everyday street performance package you're lookin at around 400 bucks meaning standard parts should cost you way less than that quote you were given. Having your rotors, pads, and fluid changed should take about 3 hours of labor, factor that in with your local shop rates.

EDIT - it looks like justin beat me to it
Old 10-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
blaster1985
Bicycle Rider

[quote author=justint5387 link=topic=159497.msg3387195#msg3387195 date=1256586576]
Wow, what a rip off. There should be no need to change the calipers. Brake pads and rotors should cost no more than $400 all around if you are just replacing with OEM replacements.
[/quote]My friends mechanic gave me a quote just now: pads and rotors: ceramic $550., metal $450. tax and labor incl. this seems much better, don't you think?
blaster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
icspots
Super Moderator

Do you have some basic tool? Changing out the pads/ rotors is really easy and won't even require bleeding the brakes.
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
XB
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to XB

[quote author=blaster1985 link=topic=159497.msg3387187#msg3387187 date=1256586345]
Hi, my mechanic just gave me an estimate on my Mazda 3 for a brake repair job. He recommends pads and rotors replaced, front and back: $800.00; if I change the calipers all around, $1700.00. Is this a resonable price? I don't see the need to change the caliper just in case they might seize up down the road. I really find this to be an over the top quote; opinions?
[/quote]

tell him GO FUCK YOURSELF and just walk out..

[quote author=icspots link=topic=159497.msg3387326#msg3387326 date=1256592061]
Do you have some basic tool? Changing out the pads/ rotors is really easy and won't even require bleeding the brakes.
[/quote]

i do agree, its a much better option to learn how to do it urself
XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
icspots
Super Moderator

OP, what's the reason for the brake replacement anyway? Are you getting squealing or grinding? Vibration when braking? decreased performance? It's possible that whatever is wrong isn't necessarily wrong with all of the brakes. I replaced my rear pads/rotors as they were down all the way to the backing plate, however with 65k on the clock my fronts are still fine. It's possible that the mechanic is just inflating the cost for his benefit..... Actually I can garauntee it since he wants you to replace the calipers "just in case" on a car that physically can't be older than six years.
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
verto

Send a message via MSN to verto

rotors shouldn't need changing. just get them turned if they are worn... otherwise just change the pads.
MS CAI - F2 CBE - ACT Flywheel - ACT Clutch - ACT Pressure Plate - MS 6 Speed Trans - TWM Desert Eagle Shift Knob - MS Springs - MS Shocks - MS Rear Camber Links - Techna-fit SS Brake Lines - Hawk HPS Pads - Cosworth BSD - Ported TB - 2.0L Oil Filter Conversion - LED Door Sills - Sharkfin Antenna - 35% Tint
verto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
manny
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to manny

not true, you should know well. The early cars love to dust up ALOT in the rears and they eat up the rotors pretty fast. i'm at 45k and I'm already at the backing plate and my rear pads are going.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:28 AM   #10
verto

Send a message via MSN to verto

yeah but the rotors are still fine... ive been through a set of pads already and had no scoring on the rears. im pretty sure the rears dust a lot because they aren't releasing all the way. i get a squeek at low speed, but if i touch the ebrake handle and move it like 2 clicks it stops... also everyone knows the rear pistons are a pain to compress

but yeah i dont see why you would need new rotors unless you've been through several sets of pads or you are tracking the car...
MS CAI - F2 CBE - ACT Flywheel - ACT Clutch - ACT Pressure Plate - MS 6 Speed Trans - TWM Desert Eagle Shift Knob - MS Springs - MS Shocks - MS Rear Camber Links - Techna-fit SS Brake Lines - Hawk HPS Pads - Cosworth BSD - Ported TB - 2.0L Oil Filter Conversion - LED Door Sills - Sharkfin Antenna - 35% Tint
verto is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Suspension / Brakes