Changing 3rd brake light - hatch - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
masterofboing
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to masterofboing
Default Changing 3rd brake light - hatch

Is there a tutorial on how to change the brake light for the hatch? I just ordered the LED one from thexenonstore, and was wondering how complicated it was to do, and also how to remove the red diffuser so that just the leds show through.
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
danielj
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to danielj Send a message via MSN to danielj
Default Re: Changing 3rd brake light - hatch

No tutorial is needed. This is a quick and easy process.

The plastic housing around the 3rd brake light just snaps into place. Grab a hold of it and pull it down. You'll feel the clips release. Then you'll have direct access the brake light. The lens just pops in and out.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
kidhaulin3
Le Mans: GT Class

Where is the best place to buy the led light for the hatch? Ebay only has them for the sedans.
The xenonstore has them but ive heard nothing but negative things about them?
Where would you recommend?
<center><FONT COLOR="#424242"><font size="1">[ BC Coilovers | Kosei k1ts | Conti |Exedy Stage 1 Clutch | Exedy Lightweight FW | TWM SS | MS3 FSB |Tri-Point RSB | SPC Camber Arm | 9th° Trunk Brace ] </font></font></center>
kidhaulin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
john_in_the_lbc

one of the metal clips that hold it on always slides off the black piece when I remove it.
just throwing that in so you're careful not to lose it if one of them falls off.
you can just put it back in place as you reassemble. no biggie.

i think i bought stuff from http://superbriteleds.com/ but i don't know if they are the &quot;best&quot; or anything...and I haven't changed the 3rd light. (I take that cover off to remove the rear spoiler).
2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
My car thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...857#msg1872857
john_in_the_lbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
masterofboing
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to masterofboing

Sigh.

Unfortunately, the only one I've been able to find is from thexenonstore as well, and I've ordered it, but yet to receive it. :\
Old 11-05-2009, 02:00 AM   #6
kidhaulin3

How long has it been since you ordered it from to the.xenon store?
<center><FONT COLOR="#424242"><font size="1">[ BC Coilovers | Kosei k1ts | Conti |Exedy Stage 1 Clutch | Exedy Lightweight FW | TWM SS | MS3 FSB |Tri-Point RSB | SPC Camber Arm | 9th° Trunk Brace ] </font></font></center>
kidhaulin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:18 AM   #7
1oopapertigers

Not wanting to pee in your cheerios here, but it could take up to a month to get your led 3bl. that's about how long it took for me to get mine from thexenonstore. then when i got it i had to screw around with it because one row of led's was out (was an easy fix tackling it with the soldering iron), and I had to cut off the tabs from the ends so it would fit in the housing. I also ended up modifying the lens, but that was my own decision because I wanted a smoked/flat lens instead of the red lens.
Nothing that you might need to do is to difficult. Just be patient and exercise a little ingenuity. it definitely pays off.

:edit:
[inserts image]
big 3 / grounded TB / Optima Red / Alpine 9857 / 10w3 / clear lens 5000k's / smoked reflectors / LED puddle lamps / blue interior LED's / LED interior kit / smoked LED 3BL / pro-kit / koni yellow's / blacked out headlights / ccfl angel eyes / cosmo sri / oem spoilers
soon: projector fogs / ram air / darkstar crank / vcts /sways
eventually: led tails / gt spec chassis bracing / other stuff
1oopapertigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
siscim23
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to siscim23

[quote author=1oopapertigers link=topic=158179.msg3402876#msg3402876 date=1257405537]
Not wanting to pee in your cheerios here,
[/quote]:lmao: Nice analogy!

But yes there are issues with time when it comes to the 3rd brake light from xenonstore. I remember when I was considering ordering one they were saying they had issues with ordering from whoever they get parts from.
siscim23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > 2004-2009 Exterior Lighting