Spare Tire Stealth Install - Bose-Opinions - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
IndyMatt
Moped Rider

Default Spare Tire Stealth Install - Bose-Opinions

I have a 2010 MS3 and like the Bose system that is in the car. However, like my previous Bose system it lacks the bass I like. I added a Sub to my previous system and it rounded out the overal sound really well.

Now here is the deal, I have an 18 month son that rides in the car along with his stroller in the trunk. So sacrificing trunk space is not an option. Here are a list of my wants:

1. Added bass that adds thump but doesn't need to rattle the windows. Unsure whether to use a 8" or 10" sub.

2. Spare Tire Well Sealed Box - Either glassed myself or by a pro. Never used fiberglass before but I am mechanically proficient, I am rebuilding a Porsche. I can sacrifice vertical space but not horizontal meaning raising the deck 2-3" is definitely an option. I have all kinds of tools, table saw, jig saw, dremel, etc.

3. What size subs can be used while still keeping the spare tire in the car? Do they have to be shallow designs? If you suggest a sub can you also suggest an amp to power it. See number one as well, no need to rattle the windows here.

4. Budget - I am hoping to stay under $500 for the sub and amp. Can a pro build this for around $500 including the custom stealth box? Because if so, I am all for that!

There are two main questions I am pondering right now:

1. Using an 8" or 10" sub

2. Whether a pro could do this job for around what I would be willing to spend. My approximate budget is $500, so if they could do it all for $600 I would be willing to spend the extra $100. As my time is more valuable than $100.

Thanks for your help and I have been searching see what has been done, but for equipment specific questions or answers I thought a new topic would be best based on new or updated equipment.

Thanks, Matt
IndyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
DrWebster

Default Re: Spare Tire Stealth Install - Bose-Opinions

Are you not willing to sacrifice *any* trunk space, or just not the amount that would be taken up by a typical amp and sub box? If you can spare *some* space, you could also look at some of the powered subs on the market, like the Infinity BassLink, which are often smaller than a typical sub box.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
halo0
Moderator of donks

Sounds like you basically want a JL Stealthbox, but those are quite expensive. I kind of doubt you could get one custom made for much less though.

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...10.html?tp=113

I would definitely go with a 10" sub. A jackstand stealthbox would cost much less and would give you what you want without sacrificing any space. I believe there is a member here that can build you one if you want. I am very happy with mine.
halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
IndyMatt
Moped Rider

Dr. Webster - I looked at the basslink and bazooka tube both and that was even too much space to lose. Basically our stroller takes up the entire trunk space from side to side.

Halo -Thats' exactly what I want without the huge price tag! Do you know the member that is making/selling the jackstand stealthbox? If so please PM or post his/her name.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 10-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
halo0
Moderator of donks

The guy who made mine is 1oopapertigers.  You can check it out in this thread.  There might be a few more install pics in my thread.

Be aware you do have to do some cutting, so it will be a permanent install. For the price though, that didn't bother me.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...c=149552.0;all
Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Derrick_B
Grand Am Series

If you're willing to cut your interior, the jackbox is the way to go. The 2010's are slightly different, so a box for the 1st gen may not fit.

Btw, the JL stealthbox raises the floor 3-4", which technically is a loss of space (though it may not be a problem in this case). It also costs $800 without amp, lol.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #7
IndyMatt
Moped Rider

I think making a box that fits the Jack Box is the way to go and then mounting the amp in the floor/spare well with a cut out for it, so it is open to the cabin for ventilation. Now what sub and amp to get? Suggestions are welcome!
Old 10-09-2009, 03:00 AM   #8
IndyMatt
Moped Rider

I am thinking the 10" Kicker Comp VR would work well. I am unsure however whether to run it in 2 Ohm or in 4 ohms. Researching Amps now.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
IndyMatt
Moped Rider

Alright I think I got it figured out:

1. Jackbox Stealth Install, either using a premade box for the first gens talked about in this thread:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=149552.0

Or will be glassing my own based off of that design.

2. I would be using a 4 ohm Kicker Comp Vr 10' Sub

3. Powering the Kicker Comp VR with a Kenwood Excelon KAC - X10D in 4 ohms.

4. Then using a LOC to tap into the Bose Sub Wiring to provide a pre-amp signal to the Amp.

5. Running 4 gauge wire from the battery to the Amp. Amp will be mounted either in the sparetire well itself. Or within a cut-out in the floor board allowing the top of the Amp to get ventilation into the cabin. Like this:

Amp Here
Floor----------------------=================---------------------------------------Floor

So what does everyone think of this set-up?

Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
halo0
Moderator of donks

If you tap the bose signals before they go into the amp you don't need a LOC. They are line level out from the head unit. (I'm assuming this hasn't changed in the 2010)

My amp has been running fine sitting in the storage tray under the lid in the back. Others run this same setup, with even 2 more powerful amps in there with no issues. I don't think the ventilation hole is necessary. Do you have the storage try like the first gen does?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > 2004-2009 Electronics Discussion