09 Mazda3 manual key trunk to keyless trunk upgrade - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
MrGoFaster
Bicycle Rider

Default 09 Mazda3 manual key trunk to keyless trunk upgrade

My neighbor just got a 09 Mazda 3 & was very excited that the keyless entry had a trunk release button because sheís getting old but she couldnít get it to work.

Well, long story short, a tree limb fell & busted her back window & dented the trunk. (Really sucks because it wasnít 8 days old) She had the body man to check out why the button wasnít working & he told her the keyless entry trunk button doesnít work because the electric trunk popper was never installed on the car. (I havenít actually looked at it yet because itís still in the shop)

Anyway, my question is: What parts would it take & where would I find them (other than the dealer IF possible) to change the manual trunk to a factory style keyless trunk. I'd need a parts list, preferably with part numbers, but just accurate part names would go a long way.

If I can #1 get the info & #2 do it at a reasonable price she can afford, then I'll do a How To video for anybody interested in upgrading a Mazda3 to a keyless trunk because I often do How To videos.
MrGoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Noisy Crow
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: 09 Mazda3 manual key trunk to keyless trunk upgrade

You can buy the OEM latch mechanism with built in actuator from Mazda. The make it work, the '09s very likely have the wiring is already in place... pull out the trunk liner and have a look. For the released with the actuator there are two separate connectors. So if you see the second connector at the trunk latch then the wiring is in place. If not... well you have to run a wire up to the PJB. At the PJB on J05 you need to see if pin J has a terminal on the PJB. That's the pin that is connected to the trunk release. In there is no pin at that location... they you need to replace the PJB.

FWIW, the OEM latch mechanism bolts right into earlier models... well, at least it fits my '08 just fine.
Noisy Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Models / Trim