Mazdaspeed3 tire Recomendations - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
speed3nick
Moped Rider

Default Mazdaspeed3 tire Recomendations

I am in need of new tires for my 2007 speed 3. I have been driving the stock tires and they are almost slicks. I want a max performance tire, that will occasionally see some auto x and a weekend at the track. I have been happy with the stock tires but am curious if anyone has any alternatives to them that might be cheaper with good performance. I would prefer to stick with 215/45/18s, but would be open to a 225 width tire if there are more options and it will save me some money.

I'm looking at the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 right now as a possible option.
Or if they will fit a 225/45/18 Dunlop Direzza star specs as I only hear excellent things about them.

Does anyone have any recomendations/feedback on the Hankooks? I'm looking to order them in the next day or two since I have a Drivers school in a few weeks and will need tires before then.
speed3nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
vanwyk4257
Moped Rider

Default Re: Mazdaspeed3 tire Recomendations

Depending on your budget for a 215/45ZR18 Tire Rack carries the new Yoko Advan 08 for about the same price as the stock bridgestone RE050A.

For 225's I would look at the following tires based on your criteria, Dunlop Star Spec Z1, Kuhmo XS, Nitto NT05, or possibly the Hankook RS2. Tire Rack has the RS2 on clearance right now, I'm thinking about picking up a set of 235/40ZR18s to replace my stockers later next year. I've had the RS2's on a few different cars that have been driven extensively on the street and autocrossed as well as track days and they have held up very well.

That said, Grass Roots Motorsports tested all the hot max performance street tires a couple times in recent issues and the Kuhmo XS seems like the best option for the money right now. The Bridgestone RE11 might be slightly better, but it's significantly more expensive too.

I hope that helps, let us know what you end up with and how you like it. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
TiocfaidhÁrLá
Le Mans: Prototype Class

I got those Hankook's recently from Discount Tire Direct since they were willing to beat anyone elses price. I paid $450 shipped. They handle excellent on wet and dry roads and the ride feels smoother. No complaints.
TiocfaidhÁrLá is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
speed3nick
Moped Rider

Thanks for the info, so a 235/40/18 fits on the stock MS3 Rim without issues?

Let me know about the tire size on the stock rims as thats the only thing keeping me from ordering them.

I run the Hankook RS2s on my e30 and I love them, so for 100 bucks a tire that I know I already like I might just have to order them. Otherwise I think I'm going to go with the Star Specs.
speed3nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
TiocfaidhÁrLá
Le Mans: Prototype Class

I just went with stock size.
TiocfaidhÁrLá is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
dbrier
Le Mans: GT Class

235 is pretty wide for a 7.0 inch wide wheel, I would go with the 225 if it were me.

Don't know much about the Nitto tire, but the tires you list are generally pretty good. The Kumho XS is a terrible tire in the rain though.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests read this and do some research on tire and you should be able to come up with a tire that meets your needs within your budget.
dbrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
rubyred3

Send a message via AIM to rubyred3

First off, the Hankook RS-2's can't hold a candle to the Dunlops. The Falken Azenis are even still better than the RS-2's. The RS-3 is coming out, thats why the RS2's are on clearance; well, that and the fact that they were never really that good. They are a VERY grippy street tire, don't get me wrong, but at autocross, they give up a lot to the other tires mentioned here (particularly the Star Specs and XS). If you are a mildly serious autocrosser though, you'll want better.

If you are going to use them as street tires, I would get the Dunlops. The Yokos are awesome, but uber expensive by comparison (same with the 'Stones). The Khumo's are great tires with slightly better dry grip, but have more trouble in the cold and are terrible in the wet. For autocross ONLY ST competition, I'd get the Khumo's, but for a street tire/autocross tire, the dunlops are better IMO. They give up VERY little at autocross to the Khumo's, but are much more streetable (a couple tenths on a 60 second course at most). I'm pretty much in the same boat you are, in that I use my autocross tires as street tires. I've had two sets of the dunlops, and when it came time for me to buy tires again recently, I looked at the Khumo ('stones and Advans were out of my price range) I decided on the Dunlops again. They've been great. 16-17k miles and autocross duty (about 10 events per year and one school on average). They kick the ever living crap out of the Falken's I had before them (and are FAR more streetable). Here's a good review from tire rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=118

If you do get the dunlops, 225 will probably be plenty for you. They run RIDICULOUSLY wide. I've got 225/45-17's on a 7" rim, running much wider on that rim would make me nervous (others may tell you different). I'm limited by the class rules in ST to 225 width, so its not even really an option for me anyways.

In short, Do it. Dunlops, 225/45, you'll LOVE them (and you'll want to ditch those RS-2's on the 30 and replace them with Dunlops). Theres a reason I'm on my 3rd set of them.
Leather, Sport package, Xenons, Nav., Speedline grille,Koni Yellows, and 17x7 Bronze Racing Sparco NT-R's (15.3 lbs) wrapped in 225/45-17 Dunlop Direzza Z1*/Mazda Millenia 16x6.5's wrapped in 225/50-16 Hankook Z214 C71's
rubyred3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
adam loves jdm hoes
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to adam loves jdm hoes Send a message via MSN to adam loves jdm hoes

/thread.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:08 AM   #9
speed_3
Grand Am Series

Direzza Star Spec's are AMAZING!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
dbrier
Le Mans: GT Class

I totally agree.
I saved some money and went with the Hakook V12. Slightly less performance for a lot less money.
dbrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Wheels / Tires