Engine Shakes when AC Compressor kicks on while idle in drive... - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
JASK0
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to JASK0
Default Engine Shakes when AC Compressor kicks on while idle in drive...

Hey everyone,

I saw a topic on this back in 2007 with the search, but it hasn't been touched in a long time and there were no answers really.

so basically what the subject reads. Lately, while in drive and at stop lights, every time my AC cycles on, my car's engine shakes and it makes me very nervous that it's going to mess up eventually.

My car's warranty is long gone and I don't want to bring it to the dealership and have them name this and that and try to take advantage of me, like they did once before after seeing I had aftermarket CAI.

Anyone ever have this problem or know of any suggestions on how to correct it?

Any advice would be appreciated!
JASK0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
unknown00
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to unknown00
Default Re: Engine Shakes when AC Compressor kicks on while idle in drive...

can you define shake more? is it rumbling or something? the alternator is running to provide you a/c so a tiny "shake" is normal
unknown00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
bicycle_wreck
Le Mans: Prototype Class

When did you notice the vibration? Have you checked your engine mounts? The passenger side mount may be broken.

It is right next to the coolant tank. Check out this thread. Scroll down and there are a couple of pics of the location. If you see all that black oily crap on your inner-fender, then it's probably broken. It could be something else, but this is worth looking at first.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=119411.0
Old 08-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
JASK0
Short Track Racer

[quote author=unknown00 link=topic=153760.msg3285838#msg3285838 date=1250651948]
can you define shake more? is it rumbling or something? the alternator is running to provide you a/c so a tiny "shake" is normal
[/quote]

The "shake" is just in the engine, thus shaking my car as well. It comes in waves when the AC cycles on. I noticed when I have the AC off, it doesn't happen.

[quote author=bicycle_wreck link=topic=153760.msg3285913#msg3285913 date=1250653875]
When did you notice the vibration? Have you checked your engine mounts? The passenger side mount may be broken.

It is right next to the coolant tank. Check out this thread. Scroll down and there are a couple of pics of the location. If you see all that black oily crap on your inner-fender, then it's probably broken. It could be something else, but this is worth looking at first.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=119411.0
[/quote]

I notice the vibration at red lights when I'm braked and idling in drive, only when the AC is on and cycles on. I have to go to work now but I will definitely check out that thread when I get home. I haven't checked the mounts.. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
JASK0
Short Track Racer

I also forgot to mention how that when the AC cycles, and the shakes (rummbles) occur, my RPM is at about the line under 1000 RPM and starts to shake and drop when the shake occurs. then goes back to being stable after that until the next cycle, which ihs about every minute or so. :-/
Old 08-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
hotnightcrash
Go-Kart Driver

Send a message via Yahoo to hotnightcrash

Hey jasko,

This happens to me all the time. My car has more drama than my life. Anyway, mazda posted a bulletin about this problem.

Here's the link:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com...39-07-1842.pdf

I went to the dealer about this last year and i guess they didn't do anything about it.

Also, sometimes I smell a musty/mildew type odor may come from the vents when the air conditioning (A/C) system is operating. It is most noticeable when the A/C is first turned ON. They also issued a bulletin however, it is not covered under the warranty.
hotnightcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
hotnightcrash
Go-Kart Driver

Send a message via Yahoo to hotnightcrash

Hey jasko,

This happens to me all the time. My car has more drama than my life. Anyway, mazda posted a bulletin about this problem.

Here's the link:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com...39-07-1842.pdf

I went to the dealer about this last year and i guess they didn't do anything about it.

Also, sometimes I smell a musty/mildew type odor may come from the vents when the air conditioning (A/C) system is operating. It is most noticeable when the A/C is first turned ON. They also issued a bulletin however, it is not covered under the warranty.
hotnightcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
JASK0
Short Track Racer

I see that the bulletin was issued for 2006-2007 models. Does it matter that mine's a 2004?

I'm a complete n00b at these things. I'm assuming in order to reboot the IDS, I need to take it to the dealership and get charged an arm and a leg? Did you have this done? (if so, how much?)

thanks for the reply and link...
Old 08-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
JASK0
Short Track Racer

btw, hotnightcrash, did you get this problem fixed? if not, any problems since? I'm always afraid that my car is going to stall out or something at a light.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
JASK0
Short Track Racer

Anyone else experience this? Sorry to bump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Stock Issues