Mazda 3 drive cycle - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
jcmansor
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to jcmansor
Default Mazda 3 drive cycle

So, before taking my car to get the emissions done, I changed the oil, washed it, checked a few things here and there, cleaned my battery terminals, ect... Well when I cleaned the battery terminals, I disconnected them, therefore resetting the ecu which must have also reset my obdii system. When I took it to the emissions, it came back as being "NOT READY". The emissions guy said to find out my drive cycle, and drive the car for awhile and then come back...

Does anyone know how far I need to drive before it gets the info it needs?
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
jimp
Grand Am Series

Default Re: Mazda 3 drive cycle

the owners manual may reveal what the "drive cycle" is, but would guess it is your normal/daily driving routine, stop/go city or hwy commute, a 50/50 mix. I know newer electronic transmissions have adaptive learning where they learn how you drive, and adjust the shift points, etc,, but you have a mtx, so it is probably just your daily routine. Drive your routine a few days, and try the emissions test again.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
cali_axela
F1 Driver

You basically have to hit every common speed and load seen by a normal car for all of the readiness flags to be set.

Quote:
"As a general rule, doing some stop-and-go driving around town at speeds up to about 30 mph followed by five to seven minutes of steady 55 mph highway speed driving will usually set most or all of the monitors. Consequently, if you’re checking an OBD II system and discover that one or more of the monitors have not run, it may be necessary to test drive the vehicle again to set the remaining monitors."
cali_axela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
jcmansor
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to jcmansor

Awesome. Thanks both of you!
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > 2004-2009 Electronics Discussion