How much Gas is stored in Reserve for a hatchback 2010 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
prasad_16
Bicycle Rider

Default How much Gas is stored in Reserve for a hatchback 2010

Does anyone know how much gas is remaining in reserve tank when the fuel empty indicator comes up? I did the first fill up of my hatchback when the indicator came up. On my way to the gas station the MID showed me a range of around 45-47 miles that can be driven with my current gas level. Yet when I filled her up the tank took only 12 gallons. Mazda's website shows that the fuel capacity of the hatchback is 15.9 Gallons. Does that mean it stores about 4 gallons in reserve? If thats the case I wonder how come the MID was showing me only 47 miles of range. Thats like its giving me an average of about 11/12 mpg.
prasad_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
cali_axela
F1 Driver

Default Re: How much Gas is stored in Reserve for a hatchback 2010

If it's similar to the first gen, then it should have about 3 gallons in reserve when the low fuel warning light comes on.

Your gas mileage doesn't go down just because the calculation is done with less fuel. Simply divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons it actually took to fill up, and you'll have a more accurate MPG reading than the trip computer gives
cali_axela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
alvinrow
F1 Driver

The warning light comes on early to prevent you from damaging the fuel pump and to prevent you from actually running out of fuel . Once on my 07 during a road trip, I drove an extra 40 miles with the trip computer displaying 0 miles left in range. It's not the best for the car, but you can do it.

As cali_axela said, simply reset the trip meter at each fill up, when you've finished driving on that tank fill it up & then divide the number of miles driven by the gallons it took to fill the tank. So, Miles Driven/Gallons poured.
alvinrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
prasad_16
Bicycle Rider

Yes I am not saying that the average mileage I got was less. In fact on my first fillup I calculated the average and it was somewhere around 25 city/highway combined. This was very much in sync with the MID display of the average MPG which was 25.3 I am not complaining about the mpg but was curious about the "Distance to empty" range that was displayed in the MID. I believe this range is calculated based on the current mpg and how well you drive. I was pretty cautious abt that too and was not racing the engine too much and was in fact very easy on the engine. Well my basic question was how reliable is the "Distance to empty" range displayed in MID. I'll keep monitoring it and keep you guys posted on my next fillup.

On a different note After the first fillup all my driving has been in a city in a hilly area. the MID shows the average mpg at 16.3 I hope that improves soon

-Prasad.
prasad_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
PZ
Le Mans: Prototype Class

I have also found that the light and the actual gauge take into account driving style and current levels of usage.

I was at an autocross event last year. There were two of us driving and by the end of the day, I was getting a bit nervous about getting to a gas station because of how low the fuel gauge was reading.

Well, I left the event, and started babying it trying to eke out that last drop of fuel. Well, by the time I got to the station (about a mile away), the gauge had risen to almost even with the E line. Decided that I could baby it to the lower priced station about 5 miles away (.20/gal difference). By the time I got there, the gauge was reading just below 1/8th a tank.

I believe the computer was reading the 16 autocross runs at about 4 MPG and adjusted the fuel gauge to compensate, figuring at that rate, I would be empty pretty soon.
Slow in - Fast out Fast in - out backwards
PZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
funk40000
Bicycle Rider

I've been wondering about this same thing with my 2010 Mazda3 hatch. This is my first Mazda, but with my previous cars, the "light" came on when there was 2-3 gallons remaining in the tank. Based on answers here, it seems like the light comes on when there's 5-6 gallons remaining, and the "Range" display is keyed to ignore the remaining 3 gallons in tank?

Is this truly the case? It seems absurd to not have a Range display that at least attempts some degree of accuracy.
funk40000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
galvatron
Le Mans: GT Class

[quote author=funk40000 link=topic=152054.msg3261078#msg3261078 date=1249322849]

Is this truly the case? It seems absurd to not have a Range display that at least attempts some degree of accuracy.
[/quote]

It may be worse on the 2010's, but on mine it indicates 0 miles left when I have 1.5 to 2 gallons left. Its really annoying and makes me not even bother using an otherwise really helpful feature.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
vtrin
Le Mans: GT Class

based on the miles left to empty... i usually get it down to as low as 4miles left (once at 1) and when I fill up, I NEVER fill up more than 11.8G.

this on a 2007
Old 08-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
jbevel
Go-Kart Driver

I've noticed it as well. The gas tank empty sign will go off... and I put in about 11-12 gallons on a 15.9 gal tank.

It's certainly not perfect. But I look at it like this...

I set my clock twenty minutes fast... so when my alarm goes off... I just hit snooze.

This way.... i get to snooze.. and be on time! LoL.

jbevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
funk40000
Bicycle Rider

Well, good to see I'm not alone, I guess. I've never been successful fooling myself with the fast-clock method, but not for lack of trying...
funk40000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > The 3 in the News