Cigarette lighter fuse keeps blowing when plugging in charger! 2004 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
nappyjim
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Cigarette lighter fuse keeps blowing when plugging in charger! 2004

If I turn my car on and then plug in my cell phone charger into the cigarette lighter, my fuse blows. It has done this twice now. But (I think) if I have the charger plugged in before I start the car, the fuse does not blow. Any ideas? And I do not have my phone attached when I plug in the charger.

Also of interest, when I went to change the fuse, the documentation says it takes a 15A fuse, but there was a 20A in there and I have never replaced it before and I got the car new. Weird.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
wanta3
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: Cigarette lighter fuse keeps blowing when plugging in charger! 2004

I was very surprised to find mine blown the other day when I went to plug in my (dead) phone on the way to something where I really needed it.

I pulled over and robbed the fuse out of one of the headlights since Mazda didn't seem to provide any spares (which my Honda that I otherwise hated had).

So far it hasn't blown again... I did do a bunch of stereo wiring back there, with great care, but that was about 3 years ago.

2011 MINI Clubman 6MT
2008 MINI Cooper 6MT
wanta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
drex7
Short Track Racer

Try taking a look inside the cigarette lighter cylinder. I've seen coins, twist ties, bits of wire, and other conductive material get into those things. The conductive material will make contact with the outer metal of the cylinder (the ground) and the center pin of the cylinder (12v+) and cause a short.
WAOLOSOMPOM3O #9

"I reject your reality and substitue my own" -Adam Savage
"I love Corvettes, they taste like chicken" - Lic plate frame on a customers Viper
drex7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
wanta3
Le Mans: GT Class

Well it blew again today right when I plugged it in; I actually heard the fuse go pop. I took a close look at the plug on the thing and unscewed the fuse. When I looked inside I somehow noticed that some of the plastic was broken which allowed the inside of one of the side contact strips to touch the + contact.

So that might explain why you were having it blow when plugging it in.

2011 MINI Clubman 6MT
2008 MINI Cooper 6MT
wanta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > 2004-2009 Electronics Discussion