rear tires cupping on the inside - Page 2 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:06 AM   #11
bnwsting97
Grand Am Series

Default Re: rear tires cupping on the inside

[quote author=wolph69 link=topic=148367.msg3187602#msg3187602 date=1245459553]
yeah I got a printout everytime, and I only went to the same place twice because I didn't want them to get annoyed and screw something up. I do carry alot in my car but most of the time it's pretty light. I'd say at the most I have 40 pounds of stuff in the back, but most of time time it's much less.
[/quote]

40lbs is not a lot of weight and prob isn't the cause for this problem
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #12
wildfrisco
Le Mans: GT Class

[quote author=wolph69 link=topic=148367.msg3187556#msg3187556 date=1245457406]
This is my second brand new set of tires. First cooper tires, not Bridgestone tires. I replaced the coopers because they got so bad my steering wheel shook after I rotated the tires from the back to the front. I rotate every 3k miles to try and avoid this so all 4 end up getting bad cupping. Now the bridgestone stires are doing the same thing and ony on the rear... both sides passenger AND driver. I have had an alignment every 3k miles ( I know it's overkill but I wanted to make sure) and had the toe set to 0 on all 4 corners. I don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions on why my tires are getting cupped after only 10k miles? I've heard bad shocks in the rear can cause this but i've checked them and they are fine. Any ideas?? I love this car, but if I can't find a cause to the tire cupping I'm going to have to trade it. I drive for work so 10k miles is about 3 months. Also, car is stock. It's funny because you can see the wear on the rear tires they doin't seem to be even touching the road on the outside of the tire. Can too much Camber cause this?? It is well within mazda spec at about a degree.
[/quote]

Myself and others have had the exact same problem. I've had 3 sets of tires in the back. So far it's happened to the first two after thousands of miles of driving, say 10K. When it feathers, it's also accompanied by a noisy hum. This is partly why I don't rotate the tires since I don't want the noise at all 4 corners.

On my 2nd Yokohama S.drive set, you could actually see that on the inner tread, they alternated in darkness. Black, dark gray, black, etc as if every other tread block wasn't touching the ground and just getting dusty.

Many drivers here say rotation is key but as we've experienced, it doesn't help, just eventually creates more interior noise. Nobody really seems to know or have had it resolved. I suspect toe, but you stated yours is zero'd out. Others have stated negative camber, but in my experiences with other cars it just causes the inner tread to wear out much faster.

Never had the car aligned since I bought it in '07, since the tech stated each time that the car is within spec. Factory specs are a little generous though so I may take it to a shop with higher standards. I have 60K miles and the shocks are still good via the bounce test.
Hypertech MESPP, Aasco lightweight flywheel, Medieval lightweight pulleys, 60mm throttle body, track pipe, Cosworth air filter, OEM BBK (Ms3 front & Mz5 rear brakes), Endless pads/DBA rotors, Koni FSD, OEM '04-06 16" Mz3 alloy wheels, staggered Continental ExtremeContact DW (225/50/16 front & 205/55/16 rear), Morimoto/Xtreme/Lamin-x HID 5,000K headlights & 4,300K fog lights, OEM LED tail lights, OEM leather seats, OEM JDM leather armrest, Eneos 5W-20, Amsoil 75W-90 GL-4, ATE Super Blue
wildfrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:20 AM   #13
cali_axela
F1 Driver

[quote author=WildFrisco link=topic=148367.msg3201692#msg3201692 date=1246215988]
Never had the car aligned since I bought it in '07, since the tech stated each time that the car is within spec. Factory specs are a little generous though so I may take it to a shop with higher standards. I have 60K miles and the shocks are still good via the bounce test.
[/quote]

Did you get a printout of your current specs any of the times they said it was within spec? The factory specs are a huge range, especially for toe, and you could be having lots of tire wear issues even if your rear toe is "within spec" that can still be easily solved by a good alignment.
cali_axela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:53 AM   #14
wildfrisco
Le Mans: GT Class

[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=148367.msg3202468#msg3202468 date=1246260042]
[quote author=WildFrisco link=topic=148367.msg3201692#msg3201692 date=1246215988]
[/quote]

Did you get a printout of your current specs any of the times they said it was within spec? The factory specs are a huge range, especially for toe, and you could be having lots of tire wear issues even if your rear toe is "within spec" that can still be easily solved by a good alignment.
[/quote]

Yes I did. Maybe I'll post it up and someone can glance at it real quick.
Hypertech MESPP, Aasco lightweight flywheel, Medieval lightweight pulleys, 60mm throttle body, track pipe, Cosworth air filter, OEM BBK (Ms3 front & Mz5 rear brakes), Endless pads/DBA rotors, Koni FSD, OEM '04-06 16" Mz3 alloy wheels, staggered Continental ExtremeContact DW (225/50/16 front & 205/55/16 rear), Morimoto/Xtreme/Lamin-x HID 5,000K headlights & 4,300K fog lights, OEM LED tail lights, OEM leather seats, OEM JDM leather armrest, Eneos 5W-20, Amsoil 75W-90 GL-4, ATE Super Blue
wildfrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #15
wolph69
Go-Kart Driver

I have an 07 as well, and i'm right at 63k miles. Did the oem set wear funny? because my owm set wore fine, and every set of tires after that wear like shit. Maybe the pothole was just coincidence... but maybe not. It's a pain, sometimes I feel like trading in for something that will wear correctly.
wolph69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #16
john_in_the_lbc

i'd have an expert inspect the shocks before getting rid of the car.
alignment perfect, new tires...next likely suspect = shocks.
also, maybe the tires were shit too. i would not buy either brand although you didn't specify what tires.
i heard some Potenzas suck ass on treadwear.
2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
My car thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...857#msg1872857
john_in_the_lbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
Trubopower
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to Trubopower

You don't want the toe 0'd out, thats actually probably whats causing the wear. On a FWD car you want the front wheels slightly toe'd out because as the car pulls forward it pulls the front wheels in and they goto 0 naturally, then the opposite for the rear, you want it toe'd in slightly because the rear wheels are unpowered and get dragged along they toe out naturally, so by having them at 0 then they are spreading, which will wear the inner ege of the tires in a scalloped manor.
Trubopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #18
.JJ.
Grand Am Series

Yeah, definitely have your shocks/struts checked out. My tires are cupping too and that is the cause.
- 2008 Mazda3s 5-door Grand Touring in Galaxy Grey Mica (Racing Beat Springs, Koni Sport dampers, Progress Rear Sway bar, Fujita F5 CAI, Drilled rotors from Brake Performance.com, Optima Yellow Top battery, CX-7 "Shorty" antenna, Interior LED lighting kit from dabears2k, Luminics JDM Yellow 2500K fog lights, Phillips Ultinon 6000K HID's, JL Audio 12w6v2 powered by Alpine PDX 1.600 amp)

- 2003 Millennium Yellow Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Summer DD.
.JJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #19
grumpyjap

Send a message via AIM to grumpyjap Send a message via MSN to grumpyjap

wheel bearing going bad can also cause the cupping
Old 07-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #20
halo0
Moderator of donks

can someone post a pic of a cupped tire?
halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Suspension / Brakes