Auto transmission slow to shift after fluid change - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
jdrake4
Moped Rider

Default Auto transmission slow to shift after fluid change

2005 Mazda3 2.3L 53,000 miles.
About 2,000 miles ago i did an automatic transmission flush myself using the directions on this site, by disconnecting the trans cooler draining 3 quarts refill etc....
I used Mobil 1 synthetic for the flush.
Car drove great afterward.
I just drove the car yesterday and noticed car does not want to shift from 1st to 2nd when the car is cold. when it does make the shift it is a very hard shift. It also does it from 2nd to third but no where near as bad.
My wife said this started about 1 month ago, which is when I flushed the fluid.

Any Ideas?
jdrake4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Midnight_Speeder
F1 Driver

Send a message via MSN to Midnight_Speeder
Default Re: Auto transmission slow to shift after fluid change

Maybe try resetting the battery? The transmission would re-learn how your shift pattern/driving style would be, and make necessary adjustments to the mapping.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
jdrake4
Moped Rider

Thanks for the reply..

I will try that first and let you guys know what happens.
jdrake4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
azntaiji
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Also atx's are pretty funky until the engine warms up. But yeah, it's also DBW so the tranmission needs to adapt to the user's driving style.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
07M3owner
Bicycle Rider

I've had that EXACT same issue after fluid flush at the dealer. Thought I was imagining it at first but after 15k miles since then it's been getting much more noticeable. I've been searching everywhere for info on this and can't find anything either. The dealer of course says they can't feel anything wrong.
07M3owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
07M3owner
Bicycle Rider

Dont know about yours but for the 07s I found this. Curious to see how it plays out. Mazda may make or loose a loyal customer over this with me. http://carolinamazdas.com/forums2/showthread.php?t=1481
07M3owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:28 AM   #7
lbear
Short Track Racer

[quote author=jdrake4 link=topic=143181.msg3084939#msg3084939 date=1240753817]
2005 Mazda3 2.3L 53,000 miles.
About 2,000 miles ago i did an automatic transmission flush myself using the directions on this site, by disconnecting the trans cooler draining 3 quarts refill etc....
I used Mobil 1 synthetic for the flush.
Car drove great afterward.
I just drove the car yesterday and noticed car does not want to shift from 1st to 2nd when the car is cold. when it does make the shift it is a very hard shift. It also does it from 2nd to third but no where near as bad.
My wife said this started about 1 month ago, which is when I flushed the fluid.

Any Ideas?
[/quote]

I can tell you that if this is the FIRST transmission fluid change, and you waited until 51K miles to do a fluid change, the trans is dying. The auto's eat up the trans fluid really bad, especially if it is conventional. Even at 12K, many report the trans fluid to be very dark and filled with clutch material.

Trans fluid has aggressive cleaning agents in it. If the trans is going bad, a fluid change will actually accelerate the failure.

The first thing I did on my AUTO was to change the trans fluid at 2K miles. I used synthetic. I will do another change at 5K.

If I were you, and the cars under the powertrain warranty. Go to the Mazda dealer and get it checked out. If the warranty is done, all you can do is keep an eye on it. Make sure the LEVEL is good. Low trans fluid can give you erratic shifts also.
lbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:41 AM   #8
aminzer
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to aminzer

the fluid is most likely low...you have to check it with the car running, and when you have it on the dipstick make sure it doesnt look black or smell burnt, and if it looks fine just and low add fluid

built not bought
aminzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:24 AM   #9
miamispeed3
Bicycle Rider

Mazda auto-trans are consider one of the worst in the market. I myself worked selling Trans parts in a business own by a best friend. Don't mess with them by changing the oil and etc. LEAVE them alone and you probably get at least 100,000 miles out of them. :x
miamispeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
lbear
Short Track Racer

[quote author=miamispeed3 link=topic=143181.msg3110673#msg3110673 date=1241771098]
Mazda auto-trans are consider one of the worst in the market. I myself worked selling Trans parts in a business own by a best friend. Don't mess with them by changing the oil and etc. LEAVE them alone and you probably get at least 100,000 miles out of them. :x
[/quote]

I would take the above with a grain of salt and humor. With 6 posts under their belt and listed as a "bicycle rider", I would be hesitant to follow their advice.

First of all, Mazda Auto transmissions are VERY RELIABLE and are NOT listed as being one of the worst on the market. Secondly, your sentence structure is atrocious. Thirdly, how would leaving the same trans fluid for 100K be a good thing for the trans? That is what causes the problems, poor maintenance and old trans fluid.

lbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Stock Issues