Would you hide a spare key outside of your car? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:45 AM   #1
tongman
Short Track Racer

Default Would you hide a spare key outside of your car?

I was just thinking of hiding a key on the exterior of my vehicle in case I lock my keys in my car and I'm not near my house. Would you guys recommend it? I've been checking the wheel fender liners and the underbody and I can definitely hide something as small as a key somewhere. I can wrap up the key or put it in a box and tape it to the vehicle. I have a total of four programmed keys for my Mazdaspeed3.
tongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Vic m3
Go-Kart Driver

Default Re: Would you hide a spare key outside of your car?

yea man, that is actually not a bad idea at all.

a lot of the inner bodies of a vehicle are thin and hollow and i'm sure you can find a secure and easy-to-access spot to put a key in. just make sure you keep the key covered up (you know, for weather purposes etc.) and taped on secure to whatever part of the car your sticking it to.
- and just to be on the safeside, though it's always good to get other's opinions, it's best to keep a thought like this personal because you never know, maybe hiding a spare key under your vehicle is going to be the next big thing. you never know who's reading... and they'll know exactly where to look when you're away from your car. (nonetheless a great idea)

4 programmed keys? that's a lot, but hey you can never go wrong with too many keys. and just out of curiosity... why do you have 4 keys?
Vic m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
d-machine
Le Mans: Prototype Class

ive seen little boxes for storing spare keys, they have very strong magnets and a sealed top, all thats left is a place to hide it
d-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
tongman
Short Track Racer

I received two keys when I picked up my car and then ordered two more. I carry one key all the time, leave one key in my room, leave one key with my mom, and the last key I stashed it away.

As long as I secure the spare key in a tight location and only I know about then I should be worry-free about locking myself out of my car.
tongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
phantom3
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to phantom3 Send a message via MSN to phantom3

Thats not a bad idea at all. My grandmother used to do that.

Or you can be majority of the people here and dont lock the car at all :P
phantom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
icspots
Super Moderator

Two thoughts.

1) You could get a generic (non-chip) key cut and hide that outside the car. That way even if someone finds the key and gets into the car they won't be able to start the car. Yes they can still steal your stuff, but if they're determined enough to they'll just break the window anyway. Obviously this would only let you get access to the car in the event you locked your keys inside, so if you actually lost your keys while in the middle of nowhere you'd still be stuck, but at least you could be stuck inside your car and out of the elements.

2) I'm not sure on the size of the hole vs. the head of the chip key, but you could remove the fender turn signal (just pops off) and hide a key inside the fender. I think you'd have to have either a strong magnet on it, or something to keep it from flopping around against the sheet metal. Maybe a string attached to the light's wiring harness, and a strong magnet on the key against the fender. I mean honestly who's going to pull out a turn signal to find a hidden key?
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Krystm

Just thought of this idea. And its not even out side of the car. In the rear passenger area by the rear bumper the wires enter the car. A rubber cup (large) seals the wires you could pull that down and tie a key to that and then push the seal back up.

I wish I had a pic for you but its in the rear passenger corner you cant miss the giant rubber grommet with a wire going into the cabin just pulls right out.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
icspots
Super Moderator

[quote author=Krystm link=topic=140939.msg3038496#msg3038496 date=1238862643]
Just thought of this idea. And its not even out side of the car. In the rear passenger area by the rear bumper the wires enter the car. A rubber cup (large) seals the wires you could pull that down and tie a key to that and then push the seal back up.

I wish I had a pic for you but its in the rear passenger corner you cant miss the giant rubber grommet with a wire going into the cabin just pulls right out.
[/quote]

Pics or ban
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
Krystm

but my car is sooo low..... bah ok ok
Old 04-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Krystm

I can has ?

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > 2004-2009 Exterior Modifications