Problem filling gas tank - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Hipshot
Bicycle Rider

Default Problem filling gas tank

Hey guys. My car is a 2004 Mazda 3 Sedan. Basically, the issue I'm having is that when I attempt to fill up (regardless of how much fuel is in the tank), the nozzle clicks off after 3-5 seconds. This began happening about three weeks ago and is rather annoying as it takes me almost 10minutes to put in $20. I've tried putting the nozzle all the way in, barely in, with various pumps and at different gas stations but the same thing happens over and over. That leads me to believe that it's being caused by a problem with the air vent system that allows the air in the tank to escape while being filled. I know it exists, I just don't know where or how I would go about 'checking' it. Any other ideas or help in general would be greatly appreciated.

Chad
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
john_in_the_lbc

Default Re: Problem filling gas tank

this might help. welcome to the forums.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=137093.0
2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
My car thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...857#msg1872857
john_in_the_lbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Hipshot
Bicycle Rider

Thanks bud, just to clarify something from the thread you linked.

Quote:
Except this cylinder is open on the bottom side and there is a cartridge type filter inside this cylinder housing. So I removed the bottom of the cylinder housing and removed filter. It was clean on the inside and filthy dirty on the outside and very wet.
You mentioned the outside of it was dirty and the inside clean...what exactly did you do to it before going and filling up again? Just clean it?
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
john_in_the_lbc

that wasn't me.. :P

i don't know either...i just remembered the thread and linked you to it in case it offered some clue.
2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
My car thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...857#msg1872857
john_in_the_lbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
john wayne
Moped Rider

Hey hipshot, it was me that had the filling issue like you. I removed the filter and just stuck a small rag in the cylinder to block anything big from getting in but not enough to block the air from getting out. I've been driving it that way since last Saturday with no issues at all. I called the dealer and they could not tell me what it was called. Their system called it a "gas tank hose" because you can only buy the entire hose from the filter all the way to the front of the tank. and it's $77.00. I assume the only thing that filter does is reduce the amount of gas fumes maybe. It's just a small paper filter. I'm not sure what else it does. ControlFreak suggested i read about the purge valve and charcoal canister but I think(from what I read) those are either under the hood or on top of the gas tank. When it warms up I am probably gonna clean the filter with a toothbrush and put it back and see what happens. or maybe I'll just keep the rag in it. It seems to be working fine. Maybe my car will catch on fire and burn to the ground. That'd be sweet. lol.....

**Nov.17th, 2006** Grounded my throttle body, yeh!
john wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
blankets3
Le Mans: Prototype Class

this same thing happend to my bro's hyundai sonata ill ask him see what he says.

No chrome on my wheels im a baller-4-real*sig modified per forum rules.
blankets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
taylhardatca
Bicycle Rider

Hey Hipshot, I'm having the same problem with my car, do you have any recommendation? What did you do?.... THANKS
taylhardatca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Stock Issues