Mazda3 Forums banner

Which power steering fluid?

135K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  balding geezer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got my oil changed today. The mechanic said my power steering reservoir is empty.

Use the cheapest I can find at Walmart?

Or...?

#3 ·
:werd: You can't always trust a non Mazda certified mechanic. Check your owners manual or talk to a Mazda mechanic. Dextron III ATF is the recommended power steering fluid for Mazdas (page 10-5 owners manual 2007)

#4 ·
Mine is kind of low, a little bit above the minimum mark. I wonder if I have a leak. Is the Dexron III ATF the fluid used for a manual tranny too or does it not matter? I believe Penzoil makes that formula. Where is the hose located, because I just lowered my 3 on Eibachs and I am wondering if maybe it got hit or something.

thanks

#5 ·
Some manual transmissions do use ATF, but not ours. The manual transmissions in our cars use SAE 75W90 gear oil, API spec GL4 or GL5. Dexron III is not suitable. Nor is any automatic transmission fluid, with the possible exception of Redline's D4 or D6 ATF which are both rated as GL4 gear lubes.

The Pennzoil stuff you are thinking of is probably GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid. Pennzoil supposedly produces this and sells it under their own label as well. It is not ATF and is not suitable for power steering either. Strictly for manual transmissions. The GM stuff is pretty popular with the Civic crowd, probably because it is less expensive than the Honda brand fluid. I've been running it in my 5 speed for 5 or 6 weeks now and it works well, with lower shift effort at low temperature and a quieter, more positive shift feel than the Syntec 75W90 I was running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.