Which power steering fluid? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
silver3i
Grand Am Series

Default Which power steering fluid?

Got my oil change today. the mechanic said my power steering reservoir is empty.

Use the cheapest i can find at Walmart?

Or.. ?
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
balding geezer
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: Which power steering fluid?

Mazda calls for Dexron III ATF in the power steering. You could splurge and buy the expensive synthetic stuff but if there is a leak somewhere it might be better to find it with less expensive conventional stuff.
balding geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
mazdatron
Short Track Racer

You can't always trust a non Mazda certified mechanic. Check your owners manual or talk to a Mazda mechanic. Dextron III ATF is the recommended power steering fluid for Mazdas (page 10-5 owners manual 2007)
Old 03-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
wolverine_man
Le Mans: GT Class

Mine is kind of low, a little bit above the minimum mark. I wonder if I have a leak. Is the Dexron III ATF the fluid used for a manual tranny too or does it not matter? I believe Penzoil makes that formula. Where is the hose located, because I just lowered my 3 on Eibachs and I am wondering if maybe it got hit or something.

thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
balding geezer
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Some manual transmissions do use ATF, but not ours. The manual transmissions in our cars use SAE 75W90 gear oil, API spec GL4 or GL5. Dexron III is not suitable. Nor is any automatic transmission fluid, with the possible exception of Redline's D4 or D6 ATF which are both rated as GL4 gear lubes.

The Pennzoil stuff you are thinking of is probably GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid. Pennzoil supposedly produces this and sells it under their own label as well. It is not ATF and is not suitable for power steering either. Strictly for manual transmissions. The GM stuff is pretty popular with the Civic crowd, probably because it is less expensive than the Honda brand fluid. I've been running it in my 5 speed for 5 or 6 weeks now and it works well, with lower shift effort at low temperature and a quieter, more positive shift feel than the Syntec 75W90 I was running.
balding geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care