Coolant Temp Sensor location - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
ShaleZoom3
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to ShaleZoom3 Send a message via Yahoo to ShaleZoom3
Default Coolant Temp Sensor location

Hey wondering if anybody knows the location of the coolant temperature sensor.

I pick one up and need to replace it and for the life of me I can't see where it goes. I looked at the picture in the online workshop manual but it is to small and I can't make it out.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
Socal 3
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: Coolant Temp Sensor location

I dont have a picture of it, but I'll try to explain it to you. Standing in front of the car, looking at the engine its on the right side of the head or the drivers side. Theres a rectangle looking platform and its underneath that and it screws in from the backside of the head...the frontside should have a hose going to it.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
ShaleZoom3
F1 Driver

Thanks,

I was finally able to locate it, but was not completely sure. Thanks for confirming it. I finally found it, got ready to put the new one in......and then realized I didn't have a deep enough 19mm socket to remove it...lol.

So I will pick one of those up today and give it another shot tonight.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:48 AM   #4
Mzda3sturbo
Go-Kart Driver

Hey can I ask why are you changing it?? Because I have a CEL P0125 and I think it is because of this sensor.
Mzda3sturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Zabusa
Le Mans: Prototype Class

i got CEL p0128 and i also think its because this sensor
Old 04-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
ShaleZoom3
F1 Driver

that is the same CEL that I got....but the CEL has returned after the changing of the sensor.

i was informed by buddy that it may be a software issue with the ECU, especially with 04's.

i have tossed a few a other codes that appear to be the PVC and EGR. looks like after 80k everything is needing replacement.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
basspumpindj

Send a message via AIM to basspumpindj

i have the same problem...except my sensors fucked up real bad..its making my temp gauge pinned at above HOT when really the engine isnt over-heating..i gotta go to mazda tomorow and get a new sensor...how much did you end up paying for the new sensor ? and what size was the socket ? i kno where the sensor is, i just wanna know what price im lookin at here and the size socket to do the job to make sure i have it..and did you have the drain the coolant ?
basspumpindj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
510Ken
Bicycle Rider

I just paid $50.00 bucks for my temp sensor, $48.00 for the new thermalstat. Mines an 04 3 hatch, has poped this code a couple of times, I was just told by the dealer that there was a "bulletin" that said there WAS an issue( with 04's and 05's ) with the ECM, He said they can do a re flash of the ecm, apperently it can send the wrong signal(code 128, not reaching temp of thermalstat).I went ahead and replaced these myself as my warranty is done. not to bad to do, this is the only issue I'v had with this car and I bought it new(allmost 70,000 miles!).
510Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
keeva381
Short Track Racer

Does anyone know how to replace the coolant temperature sensor? Mainly, I think I can locate it but do I need to first drain the coolant? Please help!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
basspumpindj

Send a message via AIM to basspumpindj

19mm DEEP socket..back of the cylinder head closest to the battery...some coolant will leak regardless when you take the sensor out
basspumpindj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Stock Issues