Does Oil go "bad" if it's in the engine for long period of time but not driven? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
khoi
Grand Am Series

Default Does Oil go "bad" if it's in the engine for long period of time but not driven?

I don't drive much or far. So for example, I have regular dyno Chevron 5W20 oil in the car for almost five months but I have only driven 1800 miles since the last oil change.

Is the oil still good?
How long does oil last if the car is not driven much?
khoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
ryukensfj
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to ryukensfj
Default Re: Does Oil go "bad" if it's in the engine for long period of time but not driven?

I would change oil every 5000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first. But with you driving so little... you probably drive a lot of short distances in the city so you should change it every 3000 miles or 5-6 months. With driving short distances the oil never warms up fully so moisture and fuel will dilute the oil, which lowers the protection the oil provide.
Current mods:F2 turbo kit, F2 exhaust, F2 BSD, F2 oil baffle kit, F2 rear swaybar, N9TH Racing Trunk Brace, KW V2 Coilovers, SPC Rear Camber Links, Medieval RMM, WORKS RSV with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs, FI Grounding Kit, RKM STS, XenonExpert pedals, 15% tint, 35w DDM 6000K HIDs, Interior LEDs, Lamin-X Yellow Fogs, Sharkfin Antenna
ryukensfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
danielj
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to danielj Send a message via MSN to danielj
Default Re: Does Oil go "bad" if it's in the engine for long period of time but not driven?

That's what I do. Lot's of short trips. I've only put 10k in the last 2 years so I do an oil change every 6 months if not sooner.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
khoi
Grand Am Series

I actually don't drive the Mazda3 to work because I only live 3.5 miles from work. And because the weather has been so bad lately that I have been using my old 1995 Pathfinder as my commuter car to and from work.

The only time that I have used my Mazda3 is on nice days and to drive up to Seattle for a weekend (that puts about 500 miles for the weekend, of those about 400 miles are highway miles).
Old 02-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #5
ryukensfj
F1 Driver

[quote author=khoi link=topic=135826.msg2926029#msg2926029 date=1234247466]
I actually don't drive the Mazda3 to work because I only live 3.5 miles from work. And because the weather has been so bad lately that I have been using my old 1995 Pathfinder as my commuter car to and from work.

The only time that I have used my Mazda3 is on nice days and to drive up to Seattle for a weekend (that puts about 500 miles for the weekend, of those about 400 miles are highway miles).
[/quote]

Oh ok... so that means you don't drive short distances. You should be fine with changing your oil at 5-6 months.
Current mods:F2 turbo kit, F2 exhaust, F2 BSD, F2 oil baffle kit, F2 rear swaybar, N9TH Racing Trunk Brace, KW V2 Coilovers, SPC Rear Camber Links, Medieval RMM, WORKS RSV with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs, FI Grounding Kit, RKM STS, XenonExpert pedals, 15% tint, 35w DDM 6000K HIDs, Interior LEDs, Lamin-X Yellow Fogs, Sharkfin Antenna
Old 02-10-2009, 03:09 AM   #6
khoi
Grand Am Series

That's good to know. thanks for all your help.

When the weather gets better, I will probably suspend the insurance on my Pathfinder and start driving the Mazda3 as the commuter car to work.
Because I will be driving lots of short distance, so I should change oil every 3-4 months to be safe?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
ryukensfj
F1 Driver

[quote author=khoi link=topic=135826.msg2926126#msg2926126 date=1234253367]
That's good to know. thanks for all your help.

When the weather gets better, I will probably suspend the insurance on my Pathfinder and start driving the Mazda3 as the commuter car to work.
Because I will be driving lots of short distance, so I should change oil every 3-4 months to be safe?

[/quote]

If you want but personally I would just change it at 5-6 months. As long as it gets up to operating temperature occasionally you should be fine. Just take hwy drives every so often to cook away any moisture or fuel in the oil.

How far is your work?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:19 AM   #8
khoi
Grand Am Series

Alright, that is easy enough to remember... 5-6 months :-)
Old 02-10-2009, 03:20 AM   #9
ryukensfj
F1 Driver

[quote author=khoi link=topic=135826.msg2926133#msg2926133 date=1234253976]
Alright, that is easy enough to remember... 5-6 months :-)
[/quote]

Yup! btw... Happy 31st Birthday!
Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #10
khoi
Grand Am Series

Hahaha, thanks...I'm getting older every year :-P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care