Stick shift tips - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
frank21
Bicycle Rider

Default Stick shift tips

Hey everyone, I'm still a noob at stick so I have some questions driving.

1.When I start the car in first gear and the rpms drop when the clutch is engaged, is that normal or bad?

2. How bad is it for the car (or what does it mess up) when the car stutters before it accelerates?

3. Is it me, or is it hard to feel the throttle response of the mazdaspeed 3?

thanks in advance
frank21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
john_in_the_lbc

Default Re: Stick shift tips

1- rpms should not drop below idle. you should be giving it gas as you release the clutch or it may...
2- bog or stutter, sometimes called lugging the engine. yes, this can be harmful. it puts a lot of stress on the bottom end...rods and bearings.
3- ?
2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
My car thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...857#msg1872857
john_in_the_lbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
slyons89
Short Track Racer

1. It's not too bad to let the RPMs drop, but it just gets you really close to stalling the engine and that's just embarrasing at an intersection or something lol. You'll see the headlights start to dim as you approach the stall.
2. When it stutters that means it's approaching a stall, normally when I mess up and my car starts to buck like that, i just stab the clutch and let it get back to idle speed before trying to shift again. Sometimes people honk if I take my time when i mess up, but I think it's better to just take it slow and avoid misshifting or something.
3. I only have the 2.0 liter mazda and lol it doesn't even know the definition oif throttle response. But it makes less than 140 horsepower so whaddyagonnado? Not sure about the speed 3 though, I always figured it would be sharp
slyons89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Tim25
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via Yahoo to Tim25

How many threads are on these forums involving people buying MS3's when they don't know how to drive standard? It could be a very expensive education...

Best thing? Go to a local driving school - most have single lessons where they teach you to drive standard. It's much better (and cheaper) to learn on a driving school car and to be taught by somebody who knows how to teach.

TIM

2008 Mazdaspeed3 || '10 MS3 Rims 18" x 7.5" || 20% rear tint || COBB springs || COBB AccessPort || CPe CAI || CPe Nvicid turbo inlet || Magnaflow cat-back exhaust || Streetunit motor mounts || JBarone Short shift plate ||
"Tuning involves improving performance. Anything else is simply decorating."
Tim25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Funandfrugal
Short Track Racer

+1
Old 02-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
Adam3324
Grand Am Series

+1
Old 02-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
alvinrow
F1 Driver

1 - I've noticed this as well on my MZ3, I think it's normal. (When I start the car, I put the car in neutral, let of the clutch, buckle in, adjust music, etc., then I engage the clutch to put it in gear, when I do this, I always notice a slight drop in the rpms from 1100 to around 950/1050 - it bounces back up if the clutch is left engaged)

2 - already answered

3 - throttle response is fine on my NA 2.3
alvinrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:33 AM   #8
adelossa

[quote author=Tim25 link=topic=135337.msg2914547#msg2914547 date=1233856268]
How many threads are on these forums involving people buying MS3's when they don't know how to drive standard? It could be a very expensive education...

Best thing? Go to a local driving school - most have single lessons where they teach you to drive standard. It's much better (and cheaper) to learn on a driving school car and to be taught by somebody who knows how to teach.

TIM

[/quote]
That's why I only buy cars I know how to drive.

When I was car shopping, I always got talked into the 'oh, driving a stick is easy. I can teach you in this new car!'. Infact, I should have wised up and took those 'free lessons'.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
slyons89
Short Track Racer

Geez you guys are so accusatory and unhelpful. I had only driven stick 4 or 5 times before I bought my Mazda 3 5 speed. It doesn't mean I destroyed it, maybe just a little higher than normal wear. He was just looking for tips, sometimes you need a little assurance when you're driving just to make yourself feel more confident when you're first starting out.

Good luck Frank!
slyons89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
allstockspeed3
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to allstockspeed3

rev real high and let the clutch out, works every time.
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela)