I lost my only key - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
rafixm3s
Bicycle Rider

Default I lost my only key

Today I lost the only key i had to my mazda3 05, what to do!?
The other thing is I live in NYC and the car can not be parked there for a couple of days the maximum is 1 or two days I need a fast and working answer!
HELP!!
rafixm3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
danielj
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to danielj Send a message via MSN to danielj
Default Re: I lost my only key

Yikes!

Member icspots will chime in I'm sure. He'll know what to do.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
danger mouse
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to danger mouse

can't they cut a key off your vin number at the dealership?

if not your going to have to get it towed somewhere until you can get the issue fixed.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
bigdoofus
Moped Rider

[quote author=Danger Mouse link=topic=134808.msg2899509#msg2899509 date=1233283665]
can't they cut a key off your vin number at the dealership?

if not your going to have to get it towed somewhere until you can get the issue fixed.
[/quote]

Yeah they can, but he won't be able to start the car because of the immobilizer and I don't think the dealer can help you with that. I think he'll have to do an ECU replacement ECU reprogram?

Alternate side of the street parking is a bitch isn't it?

Edit: Whoops meant to say ECU REPROGRAM as the later posters said
bigdoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
m3dia_lab
Grand Am Series

you you have the little metal "tab" they gave you with the car upon purchase? thats the best way
m3dia_lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
bearda
Le Mans: Prototype Class

[quote author=m3dia_lab link=topic=134808.msg2903196#msg2903196 date=1233443571]
you you have the little metal "tab" they gave you with the car upon purchase? thats the best way
[/quote]

Doesn't matter, that code on the tab just has the code for the physical key itself. They can do the same thing with the VIN. The imobilizer still isn't going to allow the newly cut key to start the car. The car needs to be programmed to accept the key, so the dealer isn't going to be able to do anything without the car sitting in front of them. Self programming isn't going to help you either, since you don't have two keys the car accepts as valid.

About the only thing you can do is get the car towed to a dealer, have a new key cut, and have the dealer program the ECU to accept the new key. Having the car towed is probably going to be cheaper than a new ECU. The way to avoid this in the future (and this should be a lesson to all mazda3 owners) is to always have THREE programmed keys available at any time. That way as soon as you lose one you can order a new one online (they used to be something like $18 pre-cut according to your VIN at onlinemazdaparts.com) and self-program it using the two remaining keys.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
icspots
Super Moderator

What Andrew said.
-Tow the car to the dealer
-Have the dealer cut and program two keys off your VIN
-Buy a third key as a spare spare.

Since you can program new keys yourself with two working keys having the 3rd key means that should you lose another key later you can just pick up a new one and program it yourself for free. Expect to pay around $22/standard key, and $75-100 for programming...... that depends on the dealer though. The prices and p/n's you need are in the key thread linked in my sig. Oh, and you absolutely DO NOT need to replace your ECU.
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
mazdatron
Short Track Racer

Since I got locked out my other car twice, I always carry two set of keys. As stated above your VIN with ID should get you another key for the dealer to program to your car. Get at least two keys to save yourself headaches like this in the future. Good luck.
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela)