Weird Noise and Brake question. - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Murdoc52
Moped Rider

Default Weird Noise and Brake question.

I just recently purchased a 2008 Mazda 3, in june of 2008. It was brand new, never any problems. Currently, I live in Dallas Texas.. So the weather has been around (30-50 degrees F). This morning, as I go return my text books for college, I had just put the Key in my ignition and turned the car on. I placed my foot on the break to change from park to Reverse and I heard a click. I kept pressing the brake to figure out where the noise was coming from, and it was right beneath the (park/drive/reverse console). I have never heard this noise before, It kind of worries me. After driving for some time, I hit a Red Light, so I put my car in park, and decided to press the break, to see what happens..and there was no sound. Throughout my driving today I did not encounter this "Click". As soon as I got home and turned off the car, I decided to Turn it back on to test it out. Sure enough, When I turned on my car and pressed the break, The click sound was there. Any Ideas what this could be? It only seems to happen right after I turn on the car and press the brake.

Also, This seems to also do with the brakes (It also started today)...

When I was pressing the brakes today, It seemed very "Thick and Sluggish". When I first reversed and hit the brake, I noticed the brakes made a deep noise.. Like a "uggh". No, It wasn't a screeching noise, it was like the brakes were needing to warm up or something. While Driving, I would break on purpose to see how the brakes were holding up, They still seemed kind of "thick" but the brakes worked as they normally do..No sound, quick response. I am sorry I cannot explain this 2nd question to you guys better, but It is somewhat hard to
describe.

I do not know if it's the weather causing this or what, It has been cold for about 2 weeks now. I Have received Ice around my car maybe 2 times in these 2 weeks. I am a Car novice, when it comes to mechanics, However my car is very new, to be having any problems whatsover.

Please help me out. I am planning on taking a 8 hr drive to visit my family for the holidays within the next 2 days.
Murdoc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
john_in_the_lbc

Default Re: Weird Noise and Brake question.

that click is the safety lockout mechanism that keeps you from shifting out of Park unless you have the brake depressed.
lot's of people notice it a while after having the car, sometimes months later.

corrosion build-up overnight (rust) on the rotors, can make a terrible noise when the brakes are applied for the first time. sometimes seems worse if you reverse before you go forward... probably because the way the pads wear - the normally trailing edge of the pads is sharp compared to the leading edge...once this layer of junk is rubbed off, no more noise. completely normal. happens more when it's wet, obviously.

oh, and i just noticed it was your first post. welcome to the forums!
2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
My car thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...857#msg1872857
john_in_the_lbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
Murdoc52
Moped Rider

Thank you for the welcome and the reply John.

Is there a reason why it takes months, for one to hear this click? Also is there a reason why this feature is added into the car? Is it used for prevention reasons or something? Does the noise get louder as time passes by?

Also, on the rust reply, is there a reason why it happened on this night? Why not on other nights? I drove for maybe 20 minutes today (my day off) and the sluggishness was there when I got home. Does it take a couple of hours for the rust to wear away? Sorry for the concern, eventhough you said it really isn't a concern. Just never had a car of the year (2008) and was afraid it would be much severe than it really is. As you can tell I really am a Car novice...Thanks again.

I look forward to the replies.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
john_in_the_lbc

as far as why you're just noticing it, i don't know for certain, but i suspect it might be packed with grease from the factory that slowly gets displaced. perhaps the excess grease deadens the sound for a while. all automatics should have this safety feature nowadays. you don't want to put it in gear unless the car is under control (with the brakes), otherwise it could start moving and hit something before you react.

the amount of rust depends on the dewpoint, humidity and other weather factors i would think. if night time temps reach dewpoint quickly after the car is parked, then it has all night to develop rust, whereas if it doesn't cool down that far until dawn or not at all, little or none.
it's worse near the ocean obviously as there is more salt in the air. if they salt the roads in cold places...same thing.
on cool nights my car always does this if parked outside. luckily, it's in a garage at night unless I am away from home.
as for "mushiness" i cannot really speak to that as it's difficult to interpret on a forum. i suppose some crud can be trapped on the surface of the pad for a while. try warming the brakes up normally, then heat them up a little by slowing quickly from relative high speeds. see if they bite better iyo. to be honest
2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
My car thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...857#msg1872857
john_in_the_lbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
d.z.
Grand Am Series

[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=131319.msg2817317#msg2817317 date=1229744051]
as far as why you're just noticing it, i don't know for certain, but i suspect it might be packed with grease from the factory that slowly gets displaced. perhaps the excess grease deadens the sound for a while. all automatics should have this safety feature nowadays. you don't want to put it in gear unless the car is under control (with the brakes), otherwise it could start moving and hit something before you react.

the amount of rust depends on the dewpoint, humidity and other weather factors i would think. if night time temps reach dewpoint quickly after the car is parked, then it has all night to develop rust, whereas if it doesn't cool down that far until dawn or not at all, little or none.
it's worse near the ocean obviously as there is more salt in the air. if they salt the roads in cold places...same thing.
on cool nights my car always does this if parked outside. luckily, it's in a garage at night unless I am away from home.
as for "mushiness" i cannot really speak to that as it's difficult to interpret on a forum. i suppose some crud can be trapped on the surface of the pad for a while. try warming the brakes up normally, then heat them up a little by slowing quickly from relative high speeds. see if they bite better iyo. to be honest
[/quote]

John dude - your dancing avatar chick is mesmorizing.
2005 Giant OCR1 (SOLD!!)
d.z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
Murdoc52
Moped Rider

John, sure enough. I just finished using my Vehicle tonight and the rust seemed to have worn away. The click is still there, i'm guessing your right about he initial stock lube running down a bit. I just had my music on and didn't hear it.

Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Suspension / Brakes