plz help: Air bag WARNING light stays on?? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
motherfresh
Short Track Racer

Default plz help: Air bag WARNING light stays on??

So i was leaving my house yesterday and i notice that my red air bag light on the dash stayed on. It stayed for a couple of hours as i was driving around town going to different stops. Once i was done with that i left the car parked and now it hasn't stayed on. With that said, i know that the manual says if the light stays on bring the car in immediately, but since it has gone off again now should i still bring it in? Do they have diagnostic tools that will be able to see that their had been some kind of error earlier? Air bag problems probably don't fix themselves.

any help would be welcomed.

thank you,
motherfresh
motherfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
pivo84
Moped Rider

Default Re: plz help: Air bag WARNING light stays on??

If you are referring to the passenger airbag then it may have been off because of you had a certain weight on the seat. I believe the airbag will be off for anything greater than a few pounds and less than 50 or so pounds. This is a safety feature in case small children are in the front seat.

If it isn't this light then I am not sure. I would say your fine, if it comes back maybe have it looked at.
pivo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
shaun3000
Short Track Racer

The red airbag light on the instrument panel comes on when you first start the car and stays on for a few seconds. (This applies to any car) It stays illuminated while the system is checked and then turns off to indicate normal operation. If the light stays on, that means there has been a fault in the system and you need to have it checked out. It doesn't mean your car is unsafe to drive but the airbags may not deploy properly, or at all.
shaun3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
myms3

Send a message via AIM to myms3

[quote author=pivo84 link=topic=128330.msg2744271#msg2744271 date=1226656518]
If you are referring to the passenger airbag then it may have been off because of you had a certain weight on the seat. I believe the airbag will be off for anything greater than a few pounds and less than 50 or so pounds. This is a safety feature in case small children are in the front seat.
[/quote]

in regards to this, did you have anything on the pass seat at all? This has happened to me when i had my laptop sitting there once. if not then i would bring it in and see what they say
myms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Le Mans: GT Class

I had my air bag light stay on for a week or so. I took it in and they replaced the SRS module in the center console.

The light comes on as mentioned when the car is first started. The light will then go off and stay off if properly working. If the light then stays on there is a fault in the system.

If it stays on take it in. There will be a "B" code recorded on the ECU but a OBDII reader will not see it.
2007 True Red Mazdaspeed 3|CPE CAI|TRZ MM (Poly)|Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs/Highs |Hotchkis RSB|Prosport Boost Gauge|BCC|18x8 OZ Ultraleggera Matte Black|Gorilla Black Lugs|G2 Red Calipers|Autoexe SS Brake Lines|Chromium Signals|Hella Supertone|sk07 Accel Pedal|CPE DP|Cobb SW|Evo TT|Dual AeroForce|TS BOV|Denso ITV22 Plugs
110100100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
lucky sevens
Grand Am Series

This happened to my Acura Integra, the SRS module failed. Replaced it, reprogrammed the car (at an Acura dealer) problem solved. This should be covered under your current warranty so take it in and have it checked out...
lucky sevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:57 AM   #7
ouch1011
Le Mans: GT Class

I would have it checked out even if the light went off. There should still be a history code in there.
The future?
ouch1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
sleserginekolog
Le Mans: Prototype Class

the right airbag light comes on if it's less than 100pds, that bitch light! my ex wieghted around 100pds, and when she sits normally, feet down, that subtracts from her overall weight! that light pissed me off!! i like to drive fast, and she wouldn't let me unless her airbag was working! i hate that light!!! i wonder if there's a trick to turn it off... i know in my scion there was a trick to turn off seatbelt beeping sound, you'd have to hold odo button, turn ignition key, click seatbelt for 10 sec.... something along the lines....
Old 12-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
motherfresh
Short Track Racer

[quote author=sleserginekolog link=topic=128330.msg2754918#msg2754918 date=1227099279]
the right airbag light comes on if it's less than 100pds, that bitch light! my ex wieghted around 100pds, and when she sits normally, feet down, that subtracts from her overall weight! that light pissed me off!! i like to drive fast, and she wouldn't let me unless her airbag was working! i hate that light!!! i wonder if there's a trick to turn it off... i know in my scion there was a trick to turn off seatbelt beeping sound, you'd have to hold odo button, turn ignition key, click seatbelt for 10 sec.... something along the lines....
[/quote]

the one on the cluster (red) not the orange one by the cig lighter
motherfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
sean ike
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to sean ike

This just happened to me too. The red light on the cluster is on, and the orange one by the cigarette lighter. How much does this cost to get replaced?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's off now.

Post your zip code here to get on the Mazda3 google map! http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=142085.0
sean ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > MazdaSpeed