anyone running kumho ecsta LX platinums? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
jplus
Le Mans: GT Class

Default anyone running kumho ecsta LX platinums?

kumho ecsta LX platinum-anyone using these? i can get a good deal on them but i was curious if they were any good, also does anyone have pics from the side or any other angles? thanks ahead of time
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
boosthead
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to boosthead
Default Re: anyone running kumho ecsta LX platinums?

Very interested as well.
boosthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
jplus

yeah, i need to get some tires on my nice new rims!
Old 11-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
jplus

anyone, anyone?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
classicaddict
Grand Am Series

they are just all season tires. from what i have read they are nothing special. i would go with BFG traction T/A's.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
07_mz3sgt_aurora
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to 07_mz3sgt_aurora

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought I could shed some light on these tires.

take a look at the first 7 pics of this album, these are with the lx platinums on:

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...aMan07/Mazda3/

I gotta tell ya, these tires are amazing. When I finally purchased them in May, I was torn between these and the Michelin Pilot Exalto model (which was a high rated tire, but much more expensive). I knew I was taking a risk with these as they are a brand new model with little customer reviews (at the time at least)...but I did have Kumho tires (which I always heard were good tires) on my previous car which performed very well, so i said why not.

That being said, I had some reservations----going from the OEM badyear "high performance" tires (which cornered like they were on rails, but were otherwise horrible in rain and snow) to GT tires.....hmm However, it turns out that these are actually much better than the OEMs. The first thing I noticed about them is that they are *slightly* softer in hard turns. However, they don't ever get close to turning loose or squealing. They actually result in much smoother acceleration and stopping performance. Even in turns, the car feels more "balanced" and smooth compared to the OEMs. They have a much softer and more comfortable ride without giving up much in handling.

Here are a few takeaways:
-great deal (on tirerack) versus similar tires
-60k treadwear warranty (big selling point for me b/c I don't want to replace tires every 20k miles)
-tread design is FAR superior to the OEMs and probably is on par with the Michelin pilots (and other higher end tires) for a much lower price
-much QUIETER than the OEMs. They do get a little more noisy (but nothing close to the OEM noise) after the first 3k miles but otherwise they are still very smooth
-Even though they are "GT" tires, they have great handling, cornering, hard stopping, and hard acceleration abilities
-tread design looks awesome, tread is very deep, and its just an overall great looking tire

I'd definitely say get them =)

-Andrew
Old 05-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #7
ShockwaveTXB
Go-Kart Driver

I was just checking these out on TireRack and got this message during the checkout process:

"Tire Load Warning
The following tire you have selected has a higher load rating than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires. This typically results in increased ride harshness, which some customers may find undesirable."

What's up with that? Does that make any sense? I thought these were a touring tire so they would be a softer/smoother ride? Should I be concerned?
ShockwaveTXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
07_mz3sgt_aurora
Short Track Racer

[quote author=ShockwaveTXB link=topic=128203.msg3103611#msg3103611 date=1241501067]
I was just checking these out on TireRack and got this message during the checkout process:

"Tire Load Warning
The following tire you have selected has a higher load rating than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires. This typically results in increased ride harshness, which some customers may find undesirable."

What's up with that? Does that make any sense? I thought these were a touring tire so they would be a softer/smoother ride? Should I be concerned?
[/quote]

Shockwave,
I have no idea what tire rack is referring to as I certainly didn't get that message during checkout last year when I ordered them. In fact, the opposite happens----because they are grand touring tires, you will have a softer ride than with UHP (oem) tires. After a year of them on my car, they are still quieter and have a softer ride than the OEMs. You def don't need to be concerned.

-Andrew
Old 02-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
abarnaj
Bicycle Rider

*TIRES ARE IMPORTANT PEOPLE!!!*
DON'T SKIMP ON THE IMPORTANT SH*T
I just got 4 new Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums for my 2008 Mazda3 (2.0)
Of course, before I got them I did ALOT of research. These are the highest mileage rated tires (600) you could find for this size (205/50/17). The 17" wheels significantly limit your tire options...
For me it came down to these or Michelin Pilot A/S plus. They are sooo expensiive and they will not last as long. The Kumhos got good reviews on TireRack and Mazda3 forums such as this one. A knowledgable/trustable car fanatic presonally told me great things about em too.
After much research, it was almost a no-brainer. Best mileage rating for any tire its size!, great reviews, performs very well, looks good.
This is the first set of tires I have bought for this car. The stock Goodyear Eagle RA? or whatever seemed good when I first dorve the car, but performance dropped way down with more mileage. I replaced them at 23,000mi
So far, at a bit over 300miles, I feel the Kumho's are great. It snowed about 6 inches here this past weekend, and the new tires were amazing. The treads are deep as f*ck! Smooth ride, good handling, great everything pretty much.
I only get All Season tires, so I have never experinced "summer" and winter tires...
Hope this helps...
abarnaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
07_mz3sgt_aurora
Short Track Racer

abarnaj---

Well said! :P Since you posted, I figured I'd give everyone a long-term update. Bought a set of these Platinums in May 2008 and now it's been 21 months / 20,000 miles. I have rotated every 5k and gotten 1 alignment last year after hitting a few pot holes. Speaking of pot holes.... I have UNFORTUNATELY hit about 4-5 huge ones since getting these tires, to my great disappointment. I'm talking... 'bottom out your suspension with a bang' potholes. These tires must be pretty well made (or I just had good luck) because after all those hits there is no visible damage (bulges) or vibration issues with the tires.

At this point, there is plenty of tread left, traction is still excellent in rain+snow+dry, and they still look great. In my opinion, these are probably the best all season tires for the mazda 3, and it's awesome that they have a 60k tread warranty.

-A
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Wheels / Tires > Wheels / Tires Technical Information, FAQ's, How-To's