A clink / pop sound when I first drive my car... - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
wolverine313
Short Track Racer

Default A clink / pop sound when I first drive my car...

When I first drive my Mazda3 2008 I hear a pop or clink. It happens sometimes when I am still in first and sometimes when I first hit second gear. So basically it is when I am just starting to accelerate (under 15 MPH).

If I then stop on a stop sign or something it does not happen. It will happen again if I turn off my car and start it again.

Anyone knows what it might be?

Thanks.

Wolverine
///
wolverine313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
d-machine
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: A clink / pop sound when I first drive my car...

i get a similar noise it sounds like its coming from the front end? i have an 05 automatic and im still trying to figure out what the hell the noise is
d-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
wolverine313
Short Track Racer

yeah it comes from the front. I can feel a slight vibration on the gas pedal when it pops.

Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks.

Wolverine
///
Old 10-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
J.J. DO
Grand Am Series

I think I have the same thing. I don't now what it is either. Does it sound like a cord or wire popping? Mine occurs in first as well.
RDX Stubby
J.J. DO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
wolverine313
Short Track Racer

[quote author=J.J. DO link=topic=126585.msg2699110#msg2699110 date=1224964627]
I think I have the same thing. I don't now what it is either. Does it sound like a cord or wire popping? Mine occurs in first as well.
[/quote]

Exactly!!! I keep on thinking it is some type of cord or wire popping!

Anyone else having this problem? Or even know what causes it? It is weird that it only happens when you first drive the vehicle.

Wolverine
///
Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #6
skhte
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to skhte Send a message via MSN to skhte

I have a 08 Mazda3 and I get this clinking popping noise after I drive the car for a bit. When in motion the noise is gone but once I come to a stop at a redlight or put my car in park the clinking popping noise comes back. And it will make that noise for about 30 seconds, then it will go away and come back again after a few seconds..... I have no idea what it is and my car has no engine modifications.

I went to mazda with this problem a few months back and they told me its normal...... but i dunno.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
mazda3.d
Go-Kart Driver

I have a similar problem but it only happens sometimes. When I first drive my car and it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear, I hear this clunky noise and the car has a little jolt. What I do now when I first drive.. is in 1st gear, I rev it super slowly and kind of ease off the gas until it hits 2nd.. normally this gets rid of that jolt and the popping noise.. But yeah, I dunno what it is, but that's just my way of handling it.
mazda3.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
wolverine313
Short Track Racer

[quote author=skHTE link=topic=126585.msg2701153#msg2701153 date=1225083110]
I have a 08 Mazda3 and I get this clinking popping noise after I drive the car for a bit. When in motion the noise is gone but once I come to a stop at a redlight or put my car in park the clinking popping noise comes back. And it will make that noise for about 30 seconds, then it will go away and come back again after a few seconds..... I have no idea what it is and my car has no engine modifications.

I went to mazda with this problem a few months back and they told me its normal...... but i dunno.
[/quote]

What you have is something different. The pop I am talking about is just one pop and that is it. It does not last or anything like that. I have a 92 Thunderbird SC that did something similar to what you are talking about. It turned out to be a shield somewhere on my exhaust pipe underneath the car. Hope that helps.

Wolverine
///
Old 10-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
wolverine313
Short Track Racer

[quote author=Mazda3.D link=topic=126585.msg2702543#msg2702543 date=1225139160]
I have a similar problem but it only happens sometimes. When I first drive my car and it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear, I hear this clunky noise and the car has a little jolt. What I do now when I first drive.. is in 1st gear, I rev it super slowly and kind of ease off the gas until it hits 2nd.. normally this gets rid of that jolt and the popping noise.. But yeah, I dunno what it is, but that's just my way of handling it.
[/quote]

I originally thought that my issue happened when it shifted from 1st to 2nd, but that is not the case. It could be well into 2nd gear the pop would happen. Also, I never get a jolt. You sound like you actually have a transmission problem. Should get that checked out before it becomes worse.

Wolverine
///
Old 10-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
J.J. DO
Grand Am Series

Agree with both posts above.

The sound I hear occurs only once and it occurs right around the time I'm shifting to 2nd. I feel/hear absolutely no change in acceleration, shifting, or engine tone.

I truly wish more people experienced the same. I would feel more secure about the whole situation.

JJ
RDX Stubby
J.J. DO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care