Rear folding seats on M3 hatchback - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
classact2575
Bicycle Rider

Default Rear folding seats on M3 hatchback

Hey everyone-
I'm trying to figure out which car to buy as my next hatchback (currently have a '93 Subaru Impreza that is awesome, but is on its way to Car Heaven). I've been eyeing the Mazda3 and Honda Fit, as one of my top priorities is actually being able to USE the cargo area in a hatchback. (The Nissan Versa was immediately crossed off when I found out the rear seats don't fold flat. :x)

Anyway, I haven't had the time to get to a dealership, and I wanted to ask here first to before I wasted a Mazda salesperson's time: exactly how flat do the rear seats fold? Does the bench flip up first, then the seatback fold down? Or is it just the seatback that folds?

I have a 57cm road bike that I can fit in the back of my Subaru without taking off the front wheel, and I've gotten really spoiled as a result. If the Mazda3 can handle that, even better.

Thanks!!
classact2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
goodbye_galaxy
Short Track Racer

Default Re: Rear folding seats on M3 hatchback

You can only push the seat backs down. It doesn't get perfectly flat; it's still on a bit of an angle. I don't think you'd be able to fit a mountain bike in there without taking off the wheel, but then again I've never tried and I have read some miracle trunk space stories here, so who knows.
goodbye_galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
danielj
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to danielj Send a message via MSN to danielj

I fold my rear seats down often to hold building supplies. The seats don't fold as flat as the Fit's but for the bottom cushion staying in place, they fold down pretty flat. My complaint, I sit with the front seats all the way back which means I have to remove the rear headrests to fold them down all the way.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
goodbye_galaxy
Short Track Racer

[quote author=danielj link=topic=126310.msg2692279#msg2692279 date=1223990764]
I fold my rear seats down often to hold building supplies. The seats don't fold as flat as the Fit's but for the bottom cushion staying in place, they fold down pretty flat. My complaint, I sit with the front seats all the way back which means I have to remove the rear headrests to fold them down all the way.
[/quote]

I've noticed this too, but if you slide your seat up then fold down the back seats, you can then slide your seat back with the headrests in place.
goodbye_galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
danielj
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to danielj Send a message via MSN to danielj

I sometimes move the passenger seat back up a tad but hate moving the drivers seat. I'm 6'3 and like the front seat space. If the OP isn't that tall this is a non issue.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
alvinrow
F1 Driver

[quote author=goodbye_galaxy link=topic=126310.msg2692271#msg2692271 date=1223990621]
You can only push the seat backs down. It doesn't get perfectly flat; it's still on a bit of an angle. I don't think you'd be able to fit a mountain bike in there without taking off the wheel, but then again I've never tried and I have read some miracle trunk space stories here, so who knows.
[/quote]

You can easily fit a bike in the back without taking the wheel off. Do it on a weekly basis in the summer. With the seats folded down, you have a 2-4 degree angle.
alvinrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
TEXN
F1 Driver

Your bike will fit fine...just turn the front wheel up a little bit.
TEXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
epic3

Send a message via AIM to epic3

I've fit 4 wheels+tires in my hatch (unmounted lol), there is a thread somewhere of "what can you fit in your hatch" and I've seen surfboards and crazy amounts of climbing gear. You could definately fit your bike. Just bring your bike to the dealer and say can I fit this in there. They will probably let you if it sells a car. lol
Old 10-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
zoomba
Le Mans: GT Class

I have fit two mt. bikes in my hatch without removing the wheels, though one of them was medium sized and it was a very tight fit; but you should have no problem fitting just one.
CP-E StandBack/AEM Uego/ Injen CAI/ VTCS removal/ Vibrant 4-2-1 header/ Vibrant Exhaust/ Grounded TB/ Advanced ignition Timing/ CP-E RMM/ Ebay Pass. MM/ Ingalls ETD/ TWM STS + weighted knob/ OEM style CF hood/ GV replica lip/ Mesh grill/ 35W HID lows and fogs/ DRL delete/ Tinted windows, side blinkers, taillights and rear reflectors/ Rear seats delete/ auxmod basic/ 18" bronze work emotions
zoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
alvinrow
F1 Driver

Here's the thread somebody mentioned. Speed 3 and MZ3 Hatch owners - how much cargo have you crammed in before?

and here are Cali_Axela's (October - 08 - COTM) pics of what he crammed in the hatch.
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=124285.msg2635649#msg2635649 date=1222207463]

[/quote]
alvinrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela)