Engine eating oil, possible problems and solutions? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Hexedit
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hexedit Send a message via MSN to Hexedit
Default Engine eating oil, possible problems and solutions?

So I'm pretty sure my engine is eating oil. The past few oil changes I've done I've had to either add oil or I only drained about 1.75 quarts of oil out of the 5 quarts I put in. I am not leaking oil as far as I know, nor does my exhaust smoke really. After about 3000 miles I've lost enough oil that if I take a hard turn then my oil light will come on. The other symptom I have is misfiring. I'm pretty sure one (CEL comes on for cylinder 2 misfire) or all of my plugs are fouling from the oil leaking which leads me to believe it might be the piston rings but, I need a more expert opinion than my own. I will leakdown test tomorrow to double check; however, the last time I leakdown tested not too long ago (I was still losing oil at this point as well) I tested good on all cylinders and I get about 29-31 mpg.

Anyways, if anyone has any idea what might be the issue here I would love to hear it. Thanks!
Titanium Grey HB 5 spd, ABS, Moonroof, Leather seats, Exel RS-GT 17x7.0 Hyperblack 225/45/17 Azenis RT-615, Racing Beat Front/Rear Sway + Endlinks, Mazdaspeed MSP3 Coilovers, 88 AWR Mount, Apexcone 6000k HID, I deturboed my car and removed my built engine. I'm now stock powertrain + an Injen.
Hexedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
lucaspl88
F1 Driver

Default Re: Engine eating oil, possible problems and solutions?

did you see any leaking from the head gasket ??? that could be it.... and well piston ring is my next idea....
CP-E Standback 2|BC|TRZ TRANS MOUNT|AWR 80d|AEM Uego|VTCS Removed|Exedy Stage 2 Clutch/Flywheel|BSD|MS3 CBE|F2 Header|Rotora Blanks|Axxis Ultimates Pads F+R|SS Lines|D1 SPEC|TB Bypass|2.0 Spin-on W/SP|Tein S|SPC|CAI|Kosei K1 TS|RKM STS|6K 55W HID|3K 35W HID|Indy Fogs|Tinted Tail Lights|Smoked Reflectors|Interior LED|Angel Eyes|Scangauge2|Red Calipers|35% Tints|Spoiler Lip|HD Front Lip|Grom adapt.|MS3 Shift Boot|GTSpec|
lucaspl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Hexedit
Super Moderator

[quote author=lucaspl88 link=topic=122672.msg2593155#msg2593155 date=1220719056]
did you see any leaking from the head gasket ??? that could be it.... and well piston ring is my next idea....
[/quote]

Not really, it doesn't smell like my car is burning oil on the block and there is no oil on the ground or the back of my engine.
Titanium Grey HB 5 spd, ABS, Moonroof, Leather seats, Exel RS-GT 17x7.0 Hyperblack 225/45/17 Azenis RT-615, Racing Beat Front/Rear Sway + Endlinks, Mazdaspeed MSP3 Coilovers, 88 AWR Mount, Apexcone 6000k HID, I deturboed my car and removed my built engine. I'm now stock powertrain + an Injen.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
lucaspl88
F1 Driver

there is nothing else i could think of.. except for the fact that when u changed ur oil.. ur drain plug wasnt tightened all the way or oil filter....... so it was leaking from underneath.. did u see any spots on the ground ?
CP-E Standback 2|BC|TRZ TRANS MOUNT|AWR 80d|AEM Uego|VTCS Removed|Exedy Stage 2 Clutch/Flywheel|BSD|MS3 CBE|F2 Header|Rotora Blanks|Axxis Ultimates Pads F+R|SS Lines|D1 SPEC|TB Bypass|2.0 Spin-on W/SP|Tein S|SPC|CAI|Kosei K1 TS|RKM STS|6K 55W HID|3K 35W HID|Indy Fogs|Tinted Tail Lights|Smoked Reflectors|Interior LED|Angel Eyes|Scangauge2|Red Calipers|35% Tints|Spoiler Lip|HD Front Lip|Grom adapt.|MS3 Shift Boot|GTSpec|
Old 09-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Hexedit
Super Moderator

[quote author=lucaspl88 link=topic=122672.msg2593161#msg2593161 date=1220719410]
there is nothing else i could think of.. except for the fact that when u changed ur oil.. ur drain plug wasnt tightened all the way or oil filter....... so it was leaking from underneath.. did u see any spots on the ground ?
[/quote]

No oil on the ground, if the engine is somehow leaking it must be doing it while I'm driving and magically leaving no traces of the leak cause under my engine is clean. I had an oil leak before and I always left spots where i parked; I'm definitely not leaking now.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
lucaspl88
F1 Driver

actually i have no clue.... piston ring... that would be the only choice.. but then ur exhaust would smoke a little !!!
Old 09-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
Hexedit
Super Moderator

Yea so I just checked the plugs today and compression tested the engine. The engine compression is still really strong and all the plugs look perfect. None of them are oil fouled. I looked under the car and I can't see any oil spots on the engine or around the seams of the engine. I'm thinking it may be my PCV system. Anyone know how to fix or replace it?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
wilb
Le Mans: GT Class

how many miles does your car have?
wilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
wilb
Le Mans: GT Class

What type of oil do you use?
wilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
Hexedit
Super Moderator

Car has 84k miles. The internals have 20k miles and the block probably 45-50k, the head has 84k miles. I use 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3