How To: Replace Front Passenger Side Engine Mount - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
verto

Send a message via MSN to verto
Default How To: Replace Front Passenger Side Engine Mount

Tools Needed:

Jack
Ramps
Block of wood (2x4 works)
Socket Set (17mm, 3/8th's or 1/2in drive sockets)
Breaker Bar (or a piece of long pipe)

and of course new motor mount...

New Mount.

Procedure:

1) Put car on ramps to allow access to underside of the engine.

2) Remove underbody splash shield.

3) Place block of wood on top of the jack to spread the load and then jack it up until it just begins to lift the engine

4) Go topside and find the coolant reservoir, there's 2 tabs holding it in, 1 in the back towards the firewall, other is towards the passenger side fender

5) Pry the tabs out of the way and remove the reservoir, then let it rest on the headlight. (Note: don't unhook the lines... it's not necessary...)

6) Check out your crappy fomoco part... it's destroyed... yay ford!

7) Locate the 4 bolts holding the mount to the frame and the engine. They are 17mm.

8) Remove the nuts from the engine first. Use the breaker bar or pipe on the end of the socket wrench... these suckers are on tight!

9) Raise the jack a bit to loosen the mount then remove the other 2 bolts...

10) Remove the mount by lifting it up...

11) Place new mount over the studs on the engine.

12) Insert the bolts into the frame

13) Jack up the engine until you can put the nuts on the studs...

14) Tighten down all the bolts. (the nuts are suppose to be tightened to 32.5 - 45ft lb and the bolts are 55-77.37ft lb)

15) Replace the coolant reservoir

16) Lower the jack...

17) Replace splash shield

18) All done! go for a test drive!
MS CAI - F2 CBE - ACT Flywheel - ACT Clutch - ACT Pressure Plate - MS 6 Speed Trans - TWM Desert Eagle Shift Knob - MS Springs - MS Shocks - MS Rear Camber Links - Techna-fit SS Brake Lines - Hawk HPS Pads - Cosworth BSD - Ported TB - 2.0L Oil Filter Conversion - LED Door Sills - Sharkfin Antenna - 35% Tint
verto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
cali_axela
F1 Driver

Default Re: How To: Replace Front Passenger Side Engine Mount

Excellent write-up, I knew it'd go something like this but it's nice to see exact steps where you raise/lower the engine with the jack for best access. Thank you!
cali_axela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
boomhauer
Le Mans: GT Class

Very nice write-up.

Also want to ask - is the Top Speed mount solid rubber, or hydraulic? Installed, does it feel similar to the oem mount, or stiffer?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
bluegrassm3
Short Track Racer

Thank you for taking the time to do this pictorial. It will likely come in handy sooner or later.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
verto

it is supposed to be rubber. i examined it before i put it on... seems alot harder than stock... after test driving it for 5 miles it felt really good. no engine movement, i was chirping the tires easily.
MS CAI - F2 CBE - ACT Flywheel - ACT Clutch - ACT Pressure Plate - MS 6 Speed Trans - TWM Desert Eagle Shift Knob - MS Springs - MS Shocks - MS Rear Camber Links - Techna-fit SS Brake Lines - Hawk HPS Pads - Cosworth BSD - Ported TB - 2.0L Oil Filter Conversion - LED Door Sills - Sharkfin Antenna - 35% Tint
Old 09-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
boomhauer
Le Mans: GT Class

[quote author=Verto link=topic=122326.msg2585426#msg2585426 date=1220458419]
it is supposed to be rubber. i examined it before i put it on... seems alot harder than stock... after test driving it for 5 miles it felt really good. no engine movement, i was chirping the tires easily.
[/quote]

Thanks, just saw your other post about the side mount. Just curious, were you running the stock rear mount when the side mount failed? I've got the cs inserts for the rear mount, and am hoping that the reduced overall engine movement helps keep the eom side mount alive. I haven't done a lot of fast starts though - the most I've stressed the side mount was probably while rocking the engine to install the cs inserts.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
lucaspl88
F1 Driver

nice write up.. whtas the exact link to buying this mount.. i need to get one too.. asap
CP-E Standback 2|BC|TRZ TRANS MOUNT|AWR 80d|AEM Uego|VTCS Removed|Exedy Stage 2 Clutch/Flywheel|BSD|MS3 CBE|F2 Header|Rotora Blanks|Axxis Ultimates Pads F+R|SS Lines|D1 SPEC|TB Bypass|2.0 Spin-on W/SP|Tein S|SPC|CAI|Kosei K1 TS|RKM STS|6K 55W HID|3K 35W HID|Indy Fogs|Tinted Tail Lights|Smoked Reflectors|Interior LED|Angel Eyes|Scangauge2|Red Calipers|35% Tints|Spoiler Lip|HD Front Lip|Grom adapt.|MS3 Shift Boot|GTSpec|
lucaspl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
verto

i am running the street unit rear mount. it is what was holding my engine in place while the stock one was trashed.

2.3L:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda...spagenameZWDVW

2.0L:

Manufacturer's site:
http://www.hardrace.com/products.asp...p;strClass2=18
Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
0o0o0
Grand Am Series

Nice writeup. According to the service manual, the nut is suppose to be tightened to 32.5 - 45ft lb and the bolts are 55-77.37ft lb

0o0o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
lucaspl88
F1 Driver

[quote author=Verto link=topic=122326.msg2585930#msg2585930 date=1220470591]
i am running the street unit rear mount. it is what was holding my engine in place while the stock one was trashed.

2.3L:

2.0L:

Manufacturer's site:
http://www.hardrace.com/products.asp...p;strClass2=18
[/quote]
i just ordered the mount.. i should see it at my door step in a couple of days.... ill take pics side by side as a comparison...
CP-E Standback 2|BC|TRZ TRANS MOUNT|AWR 80d|AEM Uego|VTCS Removed|Exedy Stage 2 Clutch/Flywheel|BSD|MS3 CBE|F2 Header|Rotora Blanks|Axxis Ultimates Pads F+R|SS Lines|D1 SPEC|TB Bypass|2.0 Spin-on W/SP|Tein S|SPC|CAI|Kosei K1 TS|RKM STS|6K 55W HID|3K 35W HID|Indy Fogs|Tinted Tail Lights|Smoked Reflectors|Interior LED|Angel Eyes|Scangauge2|Red Calipers|35% Tints|Spoiler Lip|HD Front Lip|Grom adapt.|MS3 Shift Boot|GTSpec|
lucaspl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Modifications > Modifications - FAQ's, How-To's