Transmission Fluid Change vs. Flush ? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
bhiggins
Moped Rider

Default Transmission Fluid Change vs. Flush ?

Hi, I have an 06 Mazda 3 Sport (Automatic) with about 45,000 KM and I'm thinking it's time to change out the tranny fluid. My question is, should I opt for the fluid change (~$120) or the flush (~$200+) ? Also, should I opt for synthetic, which seems to run about $60 extra ?

Thanks,

Brian
bhiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
droyal
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to droyal
Default Re: Transmission Fluid Change vs. Flush ?

i changed my transmission fluid change for like $20 with a friend. there is a thread posted here. You got an automatic it should way longer and 43,000 equates to about 28k miles. r u serious with that? thats pretty low to be changing your fluid already. check the manual.

Old Car=2004 Mazda3s Hatch
New Car=2004 E46 M3
droyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
NC211
Short Track Racer

Actually, considering how hard these engines seem to be on the tranny fluids, and how many reports of the fluid being black/gunky/stinky after 15-20k miles, I'd say you're probably due. I did mine around 18k, and it was in some bad bad shape. I replaced with Mobile 1 full synthetic V, and all is better. If you back out to the index page, look up top at the permanent threads and you should see one about how to do this, with pictures! It's quite easy actually! If you don't want to drop the pan to clean it out "which I do suggest actually", it's simply disconnecting one tube that is very easy to access, a few flips of the key to pump out the old, pour in the new...and done.

PS: to "change" the fluid is probably just draining the few quarts from the pan and replacing, which doesn't address the majority of the fluid still in the system. To flush it, is what I describe up top, with pulling off one of the hoses and letting the internal pump do the work for you.... I'd flush it, in my opinion.
NC211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
d-machine
Le Mans: Prototype Class

this is what you need http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=66369.0 and your right around where you would wanan flush the fluid, 30K miles is a good time to do the flush... DIY FTW!
d-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
droyal

Send a message via AIM to droyal

wow thats pretty bad if you have to change the tranny fluid for an automatic that soon. i didnt change my manual till like 50k. i had a hard time finding redline mt90 so i went with the cheap stuff.

Old Car=2004 Mazda3s Hatch
New Car=2004 E46 M3
droyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
stranger706
Grand Am Series

[quote author=bhiggins link=topic=119656.msg2518690#msg2518690 date=1217964767]
Hi, I have an 06 Mazda 3 Sport (Automatic) with about 45,000 KM and I'm thinking it's time to change out the tranny fluid. My question is, should I opt for the fluid change (~$120) or the flush (~$200+) ? Also, should I opt for synthetic, which seems to run about $60 extra ?

Thanks,

Brian
[/quote]

30K is generally the industry standard for flushing automatic transmissions. Some cars are easier on fluid than others. My wifes explorer is very easy on tranny fluid, it looked and smelled brand new when I had it flushed at 30K.

My 3 however has 28K and the tranny fluid is brown and burnt smelling, its ready for a flush. Im pretty easy on it too.

So yeah now is a good time to have your transmission flushed. I feel that a flush is better than drain and refill. I'd first go to a Mazda dealer and get a quote since they know the car best and have the right machines. Check the mazda website and also your dealer's website for maintenance coupons. Right now my dealer has a coupon for auto tranny flush & fill for $150 which is not bad. If you don't go to the dealer then find maybe a reputable foreign/import car garage and have them flush it.

I imagine synthetic tranny fluid would last longer....maybe someone else can post their experience with this.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
wilb

Yeah, stranger706 is right. changing your fluid at 30,000 is a good time. id change it at that time too.
wilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
cbogey88
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to cbogey88

Good info here. I need to do this I think. I keep missing third in spirited driving mode somehow... 50k... time for a flush!
cbogey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
cbogey88
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to cbogey88

Err... Is there a guide for a manual tranny anywhere?
cbogey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
dougm
Moped Rider

I went with a fluid change (not flush) at my local transmission shop I've used for years. ~30K, the fluid was brown, and the only place the shop could get the transmission filter was from the local Mazda dealer. The transmission shifted MUCH smoother after the change.

The flush will get all of the fluid out of the torque convertor - a change will not on an automatic transmission.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care