Rotor Removal Tricks? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Rotor Removal Tricks?

So I have new rotors and want to put them on but I tried to remove my old rotors and they are seized on the hub. I want to keep the old rotors as the are still good and don't want to damage them.

I have heard of using PB Blaster to brake the rust free. And using a rubber mallet.

I am looking for anyone that has had this same issues or know how to remove the rotors without damage.

Also I have new pads that I was going to put on with the new rotors. Would there be any issue using these on the old rotors until I swap to the new ones? I have a track day this week and am not sure I want to run the stock pads that have 61k Km on them for the track. There is a fair amount of pad left not sure it is over 50% or not but I would think it is close.
2007 True Red Mazdaspeed 3|CPE CAI|TRZ MM (Poly)|Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs/Highs |Hotchkis RSB|Prosport Boost Gauge|BCC|18x8 OZ Ultraleggera Matte Black|Gorilla Black Lugs|G2 Red Calipers|Autoexe SS Brake Lines|Chromium Signals|Hella Supertone|sk07 Accel Pedal|CPE DP|Cobb SW|Evo TT|Dual AeroForce|TS BOV|Denso ITV22 Plugs
110100100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
irish_ayes

Default Re: Rotor Removal Tricks?

I just helped remove a set of rotors yesterday, and it was pretty damn easy.

Just spray some pb blaster or whatever lube you have, onto the hub and on each stem. Let it soak for 5-10 minutes and then hit around the hub with a rubber hammer while spinning it.

Should come off pretty easy.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #3

I picked up some PB Blaster and a rubber mallet last night and thought I would try again to replace my rotors.

So I soaked the hub, lug bolts, and even the rear side of the rotors on the hub. I let it sit for 20 min and wacked away with the mallet. No luck it didn't budge at all. I just gave up. I don't want to have to resort to getting a shop to do this simple job but the simple job has turned into a nightmare.

Is there something else I can try?

I am guessing these Canadian winters with salt and snow for 6 months is what is causing my troubles. The car has been through 2 winters and 61k Km, I would not want to pay to get these taken off since I would be looking at a good $200 just for labour since I have the parts already!

Anyone have this problem or any input on what to try next?
2007 True Red Mazdaspeed 3|CPE CAI|TRZ MM (Poly)|Hoen Xenonmatch Fogs/Highs |Hotchkis RSB|Prosport Boost Gauge|BCC|18x8 OZ Ultraleggera Matte Black|Gorilla Black Lugs|G2 Red Calipers|Autoexe SS Brake Lines|Chromium Signals|Hella Supertone|sk07 Accel Pedal|CPE DP|Cobb SW|Evo TT|Dual AeroForce|TS BOV|Denso ITV22 Plugs
Old 05-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Ryan.Kauz
Le Mans: Prototype Class

there should be a threaded hole in the rotor which you can insert a bolt, twist the bolt through and it will force the rotor off the hub.

dont forget to use a wire brush to clean the hub surface afterward, and good luck!

-Ryan
Old 05-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #5

[quote author=Ryan.Kauz link=topic=111616.msg2314043#msg2314043 date=1210789957]
there should be a threaded hole in the rotor which you can insert a bolt, twist the bolt through and it will force the rotor off the hub.

dont forget to use a wire brush to clean the hub surface afterward, and good luck!

-Ryan
[/quote]

I didn't notice anything but I will look again. Have you seen this on these rotors?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
Ryan.Kauz

I have not taken the rotors off my MS3, however I have never seen a rotor that does not contain this hole, therefore I am speaking out of experience with other companies products. (Note: I have never seen an aftermarket rotor withOUT this hole either, which leads me to believe that it is considered "standard&quot

While it wasnt developed by NASA, it seems to be a pretty sound low-tech alternative to the age old problem of rust seizure.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
justint5387

Bang it hard around the rotor and it will pop out eventually.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #8

I have hammered the top hat with a metal hammer for a good 5 min. I have hit the rotor surface with a rubber mallet for a good 10 min. I have used a piece of wood across the lug bolts and had clamps on each side of the rotor and even still hammered with a rubber mallet. Even after soaking with PB Blaster.

Still has not budged an inch.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
budgy
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to budgy Send a message via MSN to budgy

jesus, never had any problems taking off my rotors last spring and its been through like 4 Canadian winters, rotors just slid right off

edit: how much swing are you using with that mallet? try to use as much space as you can and follow through, if that doesnt work than take a fucking blow torch to it where it touches the hub and maybe it will come off easier
Originally Posted by John_in_the_LBC
fucking pringle bastards.
budgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
diablospeed

Send a message via MSN to diablospeed

there should be a threaded hole to insert a bolt into to "push" the rotor off the hub.
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > MazdaSpeed > MazdaSpeed3 Brakes and Suspension