Possible Wheel Bearing? Whirring Noise... - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
oncesolemn
Short Track Racer

Default Possible Wheel Bearing? Whirring Noise...

Hey all.

So, I've noticed lately a strange whirring noise when I'm driving at speed. It's most noticeable around 35-45, then again at around 55-65. It's tough to figure it out, because of the excessive road noise caused by shittily paved highways and my shitty tires, but I'm concerned it might be a wheel bearing going.

The noise itself is a slightly higher pitch than the normal road noise, but instead of the steady drone you get from said road noise, it's more of a whirring, wobbling sound. (thing waawaawaawaawaa instead of waaaaaaaaa)

The mechanic I spoke to over the phone said I could bring it in and he'll replace the front wheel bearings and see if that's it. That's all well and good, but I'd hate to spend the $400 quoted if that's not the issue, or if it only needs one.

Thoughts?
oncesolemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
Steve
Your average forum a**hole

Default Re: Possible Wheel Bearing? Whirring Noise...

yea I get that too. Back left tire only. I recently rotated my wheels and the noise moved with that particular wheel. I want to say its the tire (hankook k104), but who knows. Its more of a nuisance than anything else but if I could fix it, that'd be nice.....
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
oncesolemn
Short Track Racer

Hmm... since I'm getting new tires anyway, maybe I'll do that first and hope for the best.

Your car looks like my car... heh
Old 02-15-2008, 02:14 AM   #4
Steve

haha our cars would be exactly the same if you got rid of your door mouldings and painted your back badges black (i even have the axela badge haha). The only difference is that I dont have HIDs or red calipers.. but i'll be doing the calipers soon.

Maybe its a hatch problem? Doubt it though.

.Mac membership is a little pricey, no? (I have a mac too.. haha, nice apple sticker, btw)
Old 02-15-2008, 02:24 AM   #5
oncesolemn
Short Track Racer

Very cool! I actually don't have the front emblem blacked out anymore - the blacked out one got all scratched up, so I put a new one on. One of these days I'm going to black them all out though...

oh, and I did get rid of my door moulding! I need to take new pictures... The detailing pics show it after they were removed.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:28 AM   #6
Steve

haha were gettin off topic here.. but thats good you removed those moulding, they do nothing. IMO u should tint your taillights.. you already did the side marker.. go for it.

Can somebody shed some light on this freaking wheel noise problem??? haha
Old 02-15-2008, 03:26 AM   #7
oncesolemn
Short Track Racer

Yeah cuz now that I think about it, I had my tires rotated a couple of weeks ago, and the issue didn't really change. At first the mechanic thought it was due to my front tires being feathered on the inside because they were toe out for who knows how long... So he rotated and realigned. Issue persists...

I'm guessing I'm gonna be getting wheel bearing hub(s) replaced.

Anyone know any way to pin this down?
Old 02-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
droyal
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to droyal

i remember when i hit a curb i had that same exact noise. it would get louder as i gained speed. dealer replaced the wheel bearing and it went away. if you havent hit a pot hole or anything then check the tires. might be warped rotors.

Old Car=2004 Mazda3s Hatch
New Car=2004 E46 M3
droyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
oncesolemn
Short Track Racer

Hmm. Was it obvious for you which side it was coming from? I can't really tell on mine.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
BlazenCDN
Bicycle Rider

Bearing's change pitch with load when they are spalling or damaged, take it for a drive and swerve left and right to transfer the weight of the vehicle on and off the wheels, if the noise pitch changes, its most likely a bearing problem.
BlazenCDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Wheels / Tires