Thoughts on "handguns in cars" law in Texas? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #1
AustinRedRocket
Go-Kart Driver

Default Thoughts on "handguns in cars" law in Texas?

As many of you Texans may know, and many non-Texans may be surprised...

In Texas, you can obtain a license to legally carry a concealed firearm on your person. However, the state recently passed a law allowing drivers to carry a loaded handgun in their vehicle for self-defense without any licensing, provided you are not in the process of committing a crime (and no, speeding doesn't count) and you are not a gang member. Also, what many consider "the loophole" is that you may have the gun on your person if you are in the process of taking it to your vehicle.

I was just wondering what my fellow Texans and others felt about this new freedom.

Do you or would you carry a handgun in your car?

This is meant to be a discussion open to all sides, but please keep it civil.
Hope I put this in the appropriate spot.
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
birdzofprey
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: Thoughts on "handguns in cars" law in Texas?

I do own one and would carry one in my car since i have yet to get my concealed. Do you have a link or any further information on the subject as i would like to read up about it.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=124098.0
birdzofprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
laraw
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to laraw

I am not a Texan... but I have to say I am all for that. I wish CT would do that.

2007 Mazdaspeed6 GT in Black Mica
AutoEXE | Cobb | Corksport | Gram Lights | H&R | HKS | SURE | TWM
laraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
birdzofprey

see i need to find more info on this...because it says u can carry a loaded gun in ur car, but can it be concealed or does it have to be visible? Also before, you were allowed to carry a gun in ur car if crossing county lines, but i dont know all the specifics of it.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
AustinRedRocket
Go-Kart Driver

Here's a couple articles I found on google.
It's refered to as the castle doctrine or carjacker law.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ns.6a7417.html

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp...7&nav=0s3d
Old 03-28-2008, 12:51 AM   #6
killa cam
F1 Driver

i am all for this law. NJ is full of a bunch of sissys, and do not give out permit to carry licenses. i would buy another H+K USP45 just to keep one in my car.

it is kinda beat tho that someone that does not have proper licensing to do the same. this should only be for people that have permit to carry. i can see how this can go bad... do you have to at least have the gun registered to you? can i buy a gun with its numbers scratched off and put it in my car?
killa cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
birdzofprey

[quote author=killa cam link=topic=102524.msg2188326#msg2188326 date=1206679880]
i am all for this law. NJ is full of a bunch of sissys, and do not give out permit to carry licenses. i would buy another H+K USP45 just to keep one in my car.

it is kinda beat tho that someone that does not have proper licensing to do the same. this should only be for people that have permit to carry. i can see how this can go bad... do you have to at least have the gun registered to you? can i buy a gun with its numbers scratched off and put it in my car?
[/quote]

its been a while since ive seen this thread but basically you can have a gun in ur car as long as its concealed. It must be registered to the driver or at least a passenger in the vehicle. You can not be in the process of committing a crime or anything or the law is void. So lets say you are going to a bar and gonna have a few drinks, you go barely over the limit and attempt to drive home and u get pulled over, at this point u get arrested and ur weapon gets taken by police. Keep in mind the police are still fresh on this subject and some dont even know about it. As a matter of fact me and a few friends were pulled over just last weekend and when they found out there was a gun in the car they flipped out. made us all drop to the ground and put us in handcuffs for at least an hour and questioned us. I told them about the law and to check with their chief if they didnt believe me, so they ran the serial on my gun and made sure it was clear, then lectured us for being out late and how we could easily get in trouble. Then they gave me back my gun and bullets and we were on our way with no tickets or arrests or anything.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
theblackbox
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to theblackbox

no gun but i do carry a bat, wouldnt mind a gun though.

my bro in law had his gun on him when he got pulled over, then again he was on an all black ninja zx10r he was also dressed in black. supposedly he match a description given to the police, and 6 cop cars showed up. they tried taking him to jail, allegedly the gun was visible, but the officer who pulled him over(more like braked in front of my bro-in-law) didnt see the gun so they let him go with a warning. the officer told him that he couldnt carry the gun while loaded, and made him carry the clip in his pocket and the gun in his back, of course when the cops left he put the clip back in the gun.
theblackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
birdzofprey

im not sure about motorcycles but id assume the same law applies. If it happens again, tell your brother to remember this "the castle doctrine/law" he just needs to tell that to the police and they have no choice but to let him go as long as the gun is registered to him and he wasnt committing a crime at the time. If the police give you a hard time, request to speak to the police chief or a lawyer. The reason this law was modified was for this exact reason, people getting harassed by officers or thrown in jail for a gun in the car. and it can be loaded. when i have mine in my car, i keep the clip in the gun but i dont put a round in the chamber.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #10
john_in_the_lbc

hmmm, i remember when Florida car rental places stopped putting decals on their cars because it made them an easy target for carjackers. Apparently it is so easy to obtain a carry permit, carjackers don't risk jacking locals unless they have no choice, cause they might get their ass shot off...

texas
2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
My car thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...857#msg1872857
john_in_the_lbc is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Regional > The United States