Any tricks for faded, worn, dull spots on carbon fiber hood? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
comet909
Moped Rider

Default Any tricks for faded, worn, dull spots on carbon fiber hood?

Just bought my first mazda 3, I'm completely happy with the car, I'll probably post some pics and info some other time.

But for now here's my question.

The car has a carbon fiber hood, looks cool, but its got some areas that look kind of worn. I've heard that this is something that can happen with carbon fiber. Would a good wax and buff take care of some of this or do I need to have a clear coat sprayed onto it or something. Would that even be possible?

I suppose another option would be to have the hood painted to match the rest of the car.

Thanks
comet909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 01:44 AM   #2
pj 3i07
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via MSN to pj 3i07
Default Re: Any tricks for faded, worn, dull spots on carbon fiber hood?

not that this really answers your question, but id have it painted
Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
myork
F1 Driver

Lots of different things it could be - you need to post up close pictures.

If the hood wasnt protected by some kind of UV coating (like clearcoat or some additive in the resin) then the carbon fiber can fade or get splotchy from direct sunlight. If that is the case there isnt much you can do to fix it, other than clearcoating it to prevent further damage or painting it with color to hide the fade.

The previous owner could have mistakenly spilled some chemical on the hood which messed up the finish - not a whole lot you can do there. (But I have heard of some bodyshops that can sand through a thin layer of the resin and clearcoat it to fix imperfections - dont know how true that is)

It could also be stained by sap, tar, bird droppings, etc so giving it a good wash, cleaner wax, buff, polish - a full detail might get rid of problem.

Post up some pics - you may get some better tips.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
comet909
Moped Rider

My first step will be some pics. And second step will be a wash and wax on the whole car. But that'll probably have to wait a day or two as its like 20 degrees outside.

I wouldn't call them major blemishes, only noticeable under direct sunlight at the right angle.

I kinda like the carbon fiber look on the hood, (which I didn't think I would). But I'm certainly not married to it. I'd probably have it painted to match the car before I'd pay to have it clear coated. Assuming the same cost.
comet909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:18 AM   #5
ionorick
F1 Driver

i would try to wax it like you said didnt help me though =) but now I have an electric one so i may try it again =)
Old 01-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
Freshy
Grand Am Series

Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
drcviper
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via Yahoo to drcviper

try using some rubbing compound..ive had spots on mine b4 and just rubbed em out by hand. carbon fiber is a bitch, u gotta keep it waxed up so it doesnt fade. but def get some pics up so i can c if it was what i was dealing with.
04 Lava Orange Mazda 3 Sedan WAOLOSOMPOM3O #24
Trubendz/Magnaflow | F2 | EBC | Streetunit | Skunk2 | Xtec | Cosworth | Mobil 1 | Falken | Visual Garage | Sok07 | Compustar
CF Hood | CF Pillars | Mazdaspeed3 18"s | Eyelids | HD Lip | 15% Tint | Removed Door Moldings | Advanced Timing | TB Coolant Bypass
drcviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > 2004-2009 Exterior Modifications