Replacement Battery for 2005 Mazda 3 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
SJ11
Bicycle Rider

Default Replacement Battery for 2005 Mazda 3

I have a 2005 Mazda 3 and the battery is dying on me. I jump started the car and ran it for 10 to 15 minutes to "charge" the battery. I have been able to start the car a couple of times, but with the slow cranking, the battery will go very soon.

My Mazda is a 2.3L and the battery is the original battery (I read the label and it indicated Panasonic!).

If anyone has any good feedback on which battery brand would be the best to replace and upgrade from original battery. I know I need to get better cold cracking amp rating, specially since I live in cold weather.

Thanks.

SJ11
SJ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
gar187er
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to gar187er
Default Re: Replacement Battery for 2005 Mazda 3

red top optima....

[glow=orange,2,300]FS: MZ3 stock parts!!!![/glow]

[glow=blue,2,300]FS: Used 215/45/17 tires[/glow]
gar187er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
nifty6
Le Mans: GT Class

Battery going dead after only 2 plus years, sad, maybe you have a electrical problem. My car is an 05 soon to be 3 years old and the battery was tested a few months ago and still very strong
nifty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
Mummyman
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to Mummyman

Batteries are like that, can get one that lasts forever or one that won't last a week.

I have a Die Hard Gold personally, and have for every car I've owned. Great warranty, and more importantly great quality. You'll get the Optima crowd telling you to go that route, which is just fine, just watch your prices. Every die hard I've owned or known in other cars has lasted 6-7 years without issue, so likely as long as you own the car. Got mine for $85 installed at Sears, and was told by a trusted mechanic it should last virtually indefinatly. I think paying extra dough for an Optima is wasting your money, but hey that's just my take.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Hexedit
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hexedit Send a message via MSN to Hexedit

I just had my battery die on me today. I'm in the market for a new one as well. I was looking at the optima yellow top but I'm open to other suggestions.
Titanium Grey HB 5 spd, ABS, Moonroof, Leather seats, Exel RS-GT 17x7.0 Hyperblack 225/45/17 Azenis RT-615, Racing Beat Front/Rear Sway + Endlinks, Mazdaspeed MSP3 Coilovers, 88 AWR Mount, Apexcone 6000k HID, I deturboed my car and removed my built engine. I'm now stock powertrain + an Injen.
Hexedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
ZoomZooming
Moped Rider

Now that it's getting cold in Colorado I've noticed the ZoomZoom turns over slowly if left outside. I checked the warranty info for the battery - full replacement for the first 2 years and pro-rated for the next 3. Not sure what the pro-rated cost would work out to be, but it's probably worth looking into.

FWIW - Our 2000 4Runner has the original battery - still going strong.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
Speedo66
Go-Kart Driver

If you have a bad battery it should be changed. Your alternator works extra hard to charge a bad battery and it causes extra wear on it.
Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
wanta3
Le Mans: GT Class

my batt has been rather weak lately with below 0 F temps here, though my honda which is 3 years older is fine!

2011 MINI Clubman 6MT
2008 MINI Cooper 6MT
wanta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
D Bone
F1 Driver

I live in the Antelope Valley area of SoCal, where the temps range from 113*-10* year round. Like Mummyman, I used to be a Die-Hard only guy, but that changed once I tried the Optima Red-Top. My Die-Hards would last 3-6 years in the extremes of the high desert and I thought that was OK. My Optima Red-Top is going on it's 8th year in my EXTREMLY hard to start '99 5.9L Dakota R/T, with no signs of slowing down.

My R/T is a beast, and if it can crank that thing over for 7 plus years in temps differing by 100*, then I know it can turn over our cute, little MZ3 motors! If you have a Costco card, then you can probably buy the Red-Top for not much more then a Die-Hard Gold (I think that's still Sears' best battery)

Darryl
D Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 PM   #10
mshu7
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to mshu7

I'm still running the OEM battery on my 05.

I don't remember where I read it and anyone correct me if this is false, but supposedly Optima isn't what it used to be back in the day. Something about they changed ownership or were bought out (but kept the name). I had an Optima Red Top that I put in my '00 Grand Am GT back in 2003 and it's still going strong as far as I know (sold the car to my nephew last summer).

I've heard a few good words about Odyssey Drycell batteries: http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

I don't have any other experiences with batteries other than that.

Authorized Pro Coating Installer

My source for auto detailing products: DetailedImage.com
mshu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care