Headlight / Ballast / Bulb Problem? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
Midnight_Speeder
F1 Driver

Send a message via MSN to Midnight_Speeder
Default Headlight / Ballast / Bulb Problem?

Hey All,

When I turn my car on and drive for a while, the passenger bulb goes out after 5 mins.. it is very dim when lit though.

A simple under-the-hood check shows that the ignitor/ballast is obviously not doing the "buzzing" noise that the other ballast on the driver side is doing. Has anyone had this problem before? Is it the bulb or the ballast/ignitor?

It's with a ProLumen 6000k HID kit.

-Geoff

Old 10-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
mcw8118
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via Yahoo to mcw8118
Default Re: Headlight / Ballast / Bulb Problem?

best thing to do would be switching the ballast from the other side and hook it up to the bulb that is going nuts. If it doesn't do it anymore thanits the ballast, but if still goes out on ya then its the bulb. Theres no definite answer to pinpoint what it is, but I say as soon as you turn the headlights on the buzz should be very noticeable for about 8-10 seconds. Have someone turn them on for you then listen to each one, if that side doesnt make the startup sound then the ballast probably has a toasted cap inside that ignites the high voltage for the bulb. But to be sure swap the ballast or bulb whichever is easiest then get back wih us man.
Good luck
Old 10-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
tric
Grand Am Series

Sounds like the bulb has gone.. take it out and see if its all black if that is the case its gone.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
Midnight_Speeder
F1 Driver

Send a message via MSN to Midnight_Speeder

I'll check back in a couple days when I can get it out.

Oh thanks again guys!
Old 10-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
zoom_craigy_zoom
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to zoom_craigy_zoom

The buzzing noise comes from the ballast, does it not? If that is the case, I'd say you are having issues with the ballast itself, and not necessarily the bulb. I don't think the bulb would light for a little bit and then go out if it was bad... however, I'm not a professional in this department... so I'd do what the other guys were saying, and you may be able to pinpoint the issue a little better.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2007, 11:10 PM   #6
tric
Grand Am Series

[quote author=zoom_craigy_zoom link=topic=92270.msg1797659#msg1797659 date=1192991440]
The buzzing noise comes from the ballast, does it not? If that is the case, I'd say you are having issues with the ballast itself, and not necessarily the bulb. I don't think the bulb would light for a little bit and then go out if it was bad... however, I'm not a professional in this department... so I'd do what the other guys were saying, and you may be able to pinpoint the issue a little better.

Good luck!
[/quote]

Thats how most HID bulbs go. they start or just flash then go out. and they can do some other funnky things too.. and its normal for the Ballast to buzz when everything is working ok.
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > 2004-2009 Exterior Lighting