Mazda 3 Reliability - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Dj Inphinity
Go-Kart Driver

Default Mazda 3 Reliability

Alright so I'm in love with the mazda 3 and have been trying to get my hands on it for over a year now. The opportunity might hit now.

I found a 2004 mazda 3 manual with 78k miles. The car is priced at $9.631. I think i am getting an extended warranty for up to 100k but thats it. My question is how is mazda3 reliability? I've never seen statistics with it. You know that camrys and accords are really realiable but how about mazda 3's? I mean they are fully Japanese and ford has nothing to do with the mazda3. I mean other mazdas have problems like the rx-8 and b-series but how about the mazda 3?
Dj Inphinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
brugg90
Grand Am Series

Default Re: Mazda 3 Reliability

Im sure you'll be fine. mazda 3's are very reliable. Just make sure that it has proper maintenence checks,etc. As far as engine/transmission, they are very reliable. Check out consumer reports for year-to-year problem areas. Though i think consumer reports is bias towards Japanese makes (TOYOTA!!!), but still i seriously doubt you'd have any problems. I do know that its usually better to buy later year models of a new design...Buying a 2005 or 2006 instead of a 2004 because it gave the manuf. time to fix problems over model years.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:39 AM   #3
rman
Moped Rider

I have experienced the following problems:

2004 Mz3 GT: fuel pump replaced (warranty), air bag sensor (recall), rear power window

2005 Mz3 GS: starter replaced (warranty)
rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
nifty6
Le Mans: GT Class

[quote author=Dj Inphinity link=topic=89810.msg1732972#msg1732972 date=1190564144]
Alright so I'm in love with the mazda 3 and have been trying to get my hands on it for over a year now. The opportunity might hit now.

I found a 2004 mazda 3 manual with 78k miles. The car is priced at $9.631. I think i am getting an extended warranty for up to 100k but thats it. My question is how is mazda3 reliability? I've never seen statistics with it. You know that camrys and accords are really realiable but how about mazda 3's? I mean they are fully Japanese and ford has nothing to do with the mazda3. I mean other mazdas have problems like the rx-8 and b-series but how about the mazda 3?
[/quote]

what makes you think toyota-honda are reliable, they have had their share of problems in the past...try Edmunds forum www.edmunds.com or the forum at www.torontomazda3.ca 2004 was the first year, always problems in the first year, hint hint...
nifty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:27 AM   #5
ForFun
Moped Rider

I have a 2005 3 with 35K miles. No problems so far (knock on wood :P)

I've had good luck with Mazdas - My last car was a 9 year old Miata with 112 K miles. It was very reliable and I would most likely still be driving it if it weren't totaled. My husband had a 93 Protege which lasted 9 years with 150K miles - it was still running strong - he just really wanted a new car.

That said the 2004 model was the first edition of the 3 and I believe there were some problems reported on the forums. I don't remember details though.

The most important thing is to make sure it was well maintained and had the oil changes done on time. If it is taken care of it should last you a long time.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
Viking

[quote author=brugg90 link=topic=89810.msg1733059#msg1733059 date=1190568903]
Check out consumer reports for year-to-year problem areas. Though i think consumer reports is bias towards Japanese makes (TOYOTA!!!), but still i seriously doubt you'd have any problems.
[/quote]

Remember that Consumer Reports surveys readers for their reliability information. The bias, if there is one, lies with the readers of Consumer Reports (the ones that fill out the survey), and not the magazine. The readers of Consumer Reports find the Mazda3 to have an average to slightly better than average reliability.

Overall, the Mazda3 is fairly reliable, but there are many TSBs on how to fix common problems. I did have to have the 05 in the shop a couple times for these, but none of them would have stopped me from driving. They were just annoyances.

The other misconception people have with Consumer Reports is that they think if a car is well rated for reliability that they will get a reliable car. This is not true. These statistics only show that you are more likely to get a reliable car when buying one. More important than the reliability rating is how an individual car was cared for. If a Honda Civic was abused, it might fail after 40k miles. If it was well cared for and maintained it might last 300k miles. Whenever you buy used, you must consider the condition of the car you are buying. If you are uncomfortable deciding, take it to a mechanic before you buy.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
brugg90
Grand Am Series

Very true. However, i believe for most new cars...that for the most part, they are better made than in olden times. I think the tech in in some cars has canceled out some of the strides in reliability which have been made in powertrain issues.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
Viking

I don't think powertrains have become any more reliable in the last 30 or 40 years. A carburetor and old school engine could go 200k miles without trouble. The reliability issues mostly came from when they tried to convert carburetors to work with new emissions requirements. These issues subsided when electronic fuel injection technologies matured.

There were also some issues with automatic transmissions, that usually stemmed from too much horsepower and/or the wrong fluids being used in them. The powertrains are almost always the most reliable portion of the vehicle (why Dodge can issue a lifetime warranty, and others 100 to 120k mile warranties), unless they are abused. Unless a vehicle has a fatal design flaw in the engine or drivetrain it is unlikely to fail.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
shenon

i've got an '04 with 55k miles....the TSB for cutch squeak, air bag sensor, ... that's about it.

only concern i'd have with a used 3. a lot of 1st time drivers in these cars...who don't know how to drive. you get people trashing the tranny at 30k miles (saw one in the shop a while back...the clutch plate was bare metal...this idiot had worn the clutch friction pad completely off !!! ) and then there's the auto crowd who think they're driving a manual tranny....down-shifting constantly and putting all that high rev'in stress on the tranny...burning the tranny fluid and god knows what to the rest of the system.

if you know who you're buying it from, yeah...the maintenance log for oil changes etc. would be great....but better yet would be some idea of who was driving and how much they actually knew. might save you a grand or so in maintenance cost (just the clutch replacement will run you $1100. or so.
shenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
10CopperRed
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to 10CopperRed Send a message via MSN to 10CopperRed

05 SP23 here with 57k miles and no issues to speak of yet...knock on wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela)