Loud clicking noise when I accelerate and stop - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Mica07ms3
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via ICQ to Mica07ms3 Send a message via AIM to Mica07ms3
Default Loud clicking noise when I accelerate and stop

With the windows down, I can hear it perfectly. It's something coming from the front wheels. When I accelerate at any point OR when I get on the brakes, I hear a single click when I accelerate, and a single click when I get on the brakes.

...brake pads moving in the calipers???

MS CAI, COBB inlet, IVT22's, Pro Kits, RX8s + S03 Pole Positions, Redline MT-90, tint, 5000k HIDs, AWR rear mount, TWM shifter bushings, eyebrows, angel eyes, Corksport mid pipe, MSD Dashhawk. pics
Mica07ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
CosmicBlueMS3
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to CosmicBlueMS3 Send a message via Yahoo to CosmicBlueMS3
Default Re: Loud clicking noise when I accelerate and stop

odd as this may sound, the first thing I would check would be your wheel lug torque
almost sounds like the brake rotor could be moving

it could be the brake pads I suppose, but not sure why they would make noise when you accelerate

very hard to diagnose noises over the internet, but your best bet may be to jack up the front of the car and take a closer look
1995 Miata R #187 ES

Koni 8611's, Hoosier A6 245/225's, Cobb FSB, Hawk HP Plus, Motul RBF 600, MS cbe, Redline MT-90 and a K&N filter
CosmicBlueMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
saluteTOme
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to saluteTOme

can be your CV joint...I had the same problem in my regular 3. They did 3 TSBs on my axles and eventually had to replace my right one.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Mica07ms3

Yea, I checked the torque.

Actually, what I did was after buying the car and driving it back from Boston 400 miles, I took each wheel off to wash and wax them and while I was there I put anti-seize on all of the lugs.

Then I got the wheels back on and torqued them to 82 ft lbs. Ever since I did all that, both front wheels are making that clicking noise. It's pretty loud, like I can drive down my street and hear the noise echoing off cars I pass.

Well, once I get it registered I have to take it into mazda to get the mount and floor mat recalls taken care of anyway so I'll have them look at it.

MS CAI, COBB inlet, IVT22's, Pro Kits, RX8s + S03 Pole Positions, Redline MT-90, tint, 5000k HIDs, AWR rear mount, TWM shifter bushings, eyebrows, angel eyes, Corksport mid pipe, MSD Dashhawk. pics
Old 08-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Mica07ms3

Still looking for suggestions

Old 08-28-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
lidokrantz

have you checked your front tires for stones,(even small ones) or a possible nail? I live back in the woods and have a 800 ft stoned driveway an it seems i get clicks when there is a stone in the tread, and also have had this issue with nails more than once.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #7
Mica07ms3

Nah it's not something like that. It's like something is moving, then moving back. I hear a click when I accelerate and then another one when I get on the brakes.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:21 AM   #8
Betelgeuse

I'd take the 2 front wheels off again and do a visual inspection of both the inside of the rims and brake rotors/ caliper. If nothing's obvious put them back on and see if the problem goes away. If it's still there - dealer time.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:28 AM   #9
spyderpost
Short Track Racer

Send a message via MSN to spyderpost

You know I have the same sound and the dealership changed the front drivers side caliper and it didn't fix the problem. But now since I have changed my exhaust, I have not heard the sound once. perhaps it has to do with the heat shield as I my new Mazdapseed ms3 exhaust is less bulky than stock it may be something clinking on the heat shield. I think if you have a look under the car and you wiggle your exhaust you might get lucky and figure out what the noise is.

I hope this helps.

Spyder
Old 09-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
Mica07ms3

Had it at Mazda today for the bolt recall, the guy worked for hours trying to find the source of the noise and he couldn't figure it out. He says he needs more diagnosis time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > MazdaSpeed > MazdaSpeed3 Stock Issues