Manual Transmission 4th Gear Grinding Noise - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
drumboy
Short Track Racer

Default Manual Transmission 4th Gear Grinding Noise

So, I thought it would never happen to me since I have been driving "sticks" all my life and have not had any gearbox issues in all of my previous cars. But...little did I know...

Anyway, my '06 hatch with a 5-speed has recently developed a somewhat scary grinding noise when shifting only from 3rd to 4th gear in higher rpms (under hard acceleration). It does not happen under normal driving conditions, but as soon as I decide to "step on it" harder and stay in each gear closer to the redline, I get a crunchy sound going into the 4th gear.

Anybody gotten that yet? Would it be the syncros? I am planning on taking it to the dealer to have it looked at... By the way, I am at 30,000 miles so warranty still applies...
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
small town king
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to small town king
Default Re: Manual Transmission 4th Gear Grinding Noise

i get a grinding sound when i go 2nd - 3rd when i'm really pushing it and try to get a fast shift.

but if i slow down my shift, it doesn't do it, so idk.

Ya. Thats my old Hatch on the Grip Tuning Advertisement Banner. After a nice photoshop, HOLLLLAAAAAAAAAAa
small town king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
945LSTANG
Le Mans: Prototype Class

my guess would be your syncros. i will bet you that as you keep driving it it will begin grinding even in normal driving conditions.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
mazda225
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to mazda225

i think mine does it going from 1st -2 how do u fix it get a new tranny?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:38 PM   #5
drumboy
Short Track Racer

I don't know how it gets fixed. Here is what I want to know...Am I doing something wrong that contributed to that? I used to assume that with proper shifting technique and proper maintenance I should not have any problems with my gearbox. Man, I used to flog my 2002 manual Honda Civic and nothing happened. I wonder if a more powerful motor, like in our 3s, created more stress on the tranny. Or, is it, that Honda gearboxes are more stout and simply better designed?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:04 AM   #6
YoungJim
Short Track Racer

The synchros are simply brass rings that look a bit like gears; they can be replaced, and as long as the (steel) gears themselves aren't chewed up, then that should be all you have to do. Now, exactly how much work it is (or how much it would cost) is something you'd have to ask your dealer about, but it is do-able.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:41 AM   #7
ViperKillerWannabe
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to ViperKillerWannabe

It should be covered under warranty. As someone said above, it is a simple brass ring, but to replace it you must completely remove and tear apart the transmission. On a 3, this involves removing the engine as well, because there is no room in the engine bay to just remove the transmission. Therefore, you can expect your car to be out of commission for a few days to a couple weeks while they replace it. One thing you can try if you don't want to leave it in the dealer's hands for so long is replace the gearbox oil with a full synthetic. It won't stop the damage (it is usually progressive), but it will slow it down and possibly stop the grinding altogether, until the damage progresses more.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
azazel1024

There certainly should be enough room to drop the tranny out. If there wasn't enough room to remove the transmision then the entire engine and tranny would have to be pulled everytime you had to do a clutch job, and they would run $$$, a lot more then they do.
-Matt
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
drumboy
Short Track Racer

I am going to the dealership in the morning. Should be covered under warranty, that's what the service adviser said.

Thanks for all your help, guys.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
drumboy
Short Track Racer

Well, I came from the dealer today. The told me that because it only happens when I "power shift" from 3rd to 4th gear it is normal. That's bullshit. It just started happening recently. Dealerships suck... Oh, and on top of that they apparently called a technical hotline where it was confirmed to them that "our gearbox is not designed to powershift, so a grinding noise would be normal."

I guess I could try another dealership.

Any other suggestions?
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Stock Issues